Granville isn’t just an expensive dorm for sorority girls

We’re not another species, we just live in a different dorm

If you go to Carolina, you’ve heard of Granville Towers. To some, it’s the place we call home. To others, it’s a strange, foreign place that’s way too expensive and full of people you wouldn’t like.

But not all of the assumptions and stereotypes are true. There are some common Granville misconceptions that need to be debunked.

Not everyone’s room is decked out in Lilly Pulitzer and pink

OK, some rooms are like that. But for the most part, Granville houses a unique and diverse group of people with all different interests. I’ve seen more record players, dream catchers and band posters in dorms than I’ve seen hot pink or Jack Rogers.

Living in Granville costs about the same as living on campus

All prices for Granville Towers include living costs and a meal plan. Depending on your meal plan, most dorms are about $4,700 a semester.

UNC on-campus housing generally costs around $3,000 a semester for a double occupancy dorm, but then you have to add in a meal plan. These meal plans then cost another $1,000-$2,000. In the end, the price of living really isn’t that different from Granville.

Not everyone in Granville is in a sorority

There are a lot of people in Granville Towers who rush, but not everyone joins a sorority or talks about their sorority all the time. It’s not like people have Greek letters branded on their foreheads. While most people are in Greek life, there are lots of residents who aren’t. Three out of the four people in my suite aren’t in sororities, and we’re doing just fine.

Everyone in Granville is different from each other

Those of us who live in Granville Towers aren’t just clones of each other. We’re passionate. We’re musicians. We’re writers. We’re scientists. Granville residents have different passions and come from different backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common: we chose Carolina.

We just live somewhere different than you. So stop giving us weird looks when we tell you where we live and come see it for yourself.

UNC