Virginia Tech’s volleyball coach learned why you don’t talk to our student section

And in case you were wondering, of course we won

This weekend was a crazy weekend for Carolina athletics. Fever did their best to represent every sport, having four games from four teams over three days.

Unfortunately, there were so many good games, one sport had to be left out. That game was Senior Night for UNC Volleyball on Saturday.

Celebrating eight senior members of the team and staff, the team put on a show against Virginia Tech. Carolina swept the match 3-0, but not before the fans got to have some fun with Virginia Tech’s coach.

After a questionable call when the line judge said we tipped a ball that went out of bounds, some of the fans asked who touched the ball.

Head Coach Chris Riley of Virginia Tech then turned to the fans and said: “It doesn’t even matter.”

Big mistake, Coach. From that point on, nothing the coach did mattered.

He tried to argue a call for carrying later in the match. The student section mocked him, chanting: “It doesn’t even matter, Chris.”

The Hokies were outclassed by the Heels, but their coach learned a valuable lesson Saturday night: it’s never a good idea to talk to an opposing student section. That’s just asking for trouble.

While Saturday night was Senior Night, the volleyball team has one more home game this Wednesday, November 18, against NC State.

It’s always fun to beat State. It’s like reminding your little siblings that, while they think they’re big enough to beat you now, they’re still pretty helpless.

UNC