We asked freshmen boys about their first time doing laundry

Mom’s not here

We all had learning curves to overcome when coming to UNC, but for many, the biggest curve is in the laundry room. With all of the different settings, temperatures and fabric softener options, it’s a lot to take in without your mom’s help.

The Tab interviewed some freshmen boys about their first Carolina laundry day.

Jackie, 19, Business

“I borrowed money from my RA’s One Card and then I put a load in the washing machine. I tried to put money on my card for the dry cycle.

“I went to three different Tar Heel Tellers and all of the machines were broken. Then I realized I didn’t put any detergent or softener or anything in the machine.

“When I finally went back, a girl had dried and folded my laundry. It looked great. She left a note that said ‘to the person with the purple boxers.’ I went to thank her the next morning and it turns out we were at church together that morning.”

Andrew, 19, Exercise and Sports Science

“This is my second load of the semester. I never really did laundry at home, except my mom made me wash my baseball pants. Wait, I just realized I never pressed a cycle on the machine.”

Jeffrey, 19, Exercise and Sports Science

“My first time doing laundry wasn’t a big deal because I always did laundry at home. Whites use hot water and everything else is cold. These washers didn’t have labels, but Hojo had a cheat sheet that showed temperatures. I didn’t know where to put the detergent though.”

Adam, 18, Pre-Pharmacy

“It took a while.”

Tyler, 18, Biology

“I was confused at first, but my mom gave me advice. She’s the professional.”

Logan, 18, Undecided

“I went at a time when most people were doing their laundry too. It was pretty terrible. I didn’t ruin any clothes, but it was difficult to actually find open machines.”

Henry, 18, Economics

“I took my laundry home most weekends. The separate card readers for the washing machine and dryer were confusing.”

Keenan, 18, Biology

“I was confused when I saw the machine had a cycle for whites and colors together. I knew that was a bad idea.”

Anthony, 18, Quantitative Biology

“I tried to swipe my debit card but it didn’t work. Then I realized I had to use my One Card.”

Cody, 18, Religious Studies

“I have done four loads of laundry that have all been successful. I have yet to do whites.”

UNC carolina chapel hill dorm dorms freshman freshmen laundry student students tar heel tar heels unc