This year’s G-Day marked the beginning of the Kirby Smart era

It’s safe to say we met his 93k challenge

This Saturday, the Kirby Smart era of Georgia football began with a bang. The April 16th game set the SEC record for spring game attendance.

Always a fun, fan-friendly event, this year’s G-Day took things to the next level. Sanford Stadium was completely packed.

By the looks of this picture, it’s safe to say we met Kirby’s 93k challenge.

Hundreds of fans were turned away at the gate. UGA PA announcer Brook Whitmire even asked fans in the stadium to move in towards the middle in order to make room for more people.

This G-Day was special for multiple reasons. Records were broken. Kirby Smart began his career at UGA. But maybe most important? Rapper Ludacris performed before the game.

He’s one of the biggest names to play at UGA in a long time, and we’re continuing this streak of excellent performers with next week’s Fetty Wap concert.

This was by far the largest G-Day in UGA history, more than doubling last year’s record-setting attendance of 46,000. The excitement Georgia fans are feeling for the start of the Kirby Smart era is undeniable. He asked for 93K and Bulldawg Nation delivered.

While only a spring scrimmage, G-Day is a sign of good things to come. Hopefully, it’s the beginning of a very successful chapter of UGA football.

University of Georgia