UD’s Counseling Center is better than you think

If you need someone to talk to, you’re in luck

Stressed, depressed, or anxious? UD’s got your back

When friends of mine have confided in me about the stress and struggles that come with being a college student, my first reaction has always been to ask if they’d tried reaching out for help. At the beginning of the year my RA told my floor fam that if we had any issues that we weren’t comfortable talking to him about, that we could seek help at UD’s counseling center in Perkins Student Center. However, when I ask people if they’ve tried to get assistance there, they’ve told me stories of bad interactions with receptionists, and a lack of available appointments. I had a different experience.

Perkins Student Center

When I called counseling center, a friendly sounding receptionist answered the phone, and within minutes I had an appointment scheduled for the following week. She gave me clear instructions to arrive half an hour early, and offered alternative appointments if that wouldn’t work for me. When I arrived at the center(located on the second floor of Perkins), I was greeted with a smile by the same receptionist that I spoke with on the phone. She handed me a laptop with some seemingly standard questions on it, and then I waited for a few minutes for the psychologist to come fetch me.

In the office, I felt very comfortable. The psychologist explained to me that the first session was simply meant as an intro appointment, designed to help her figure out what sort of therapy would be best for my situation.  For the first twenty minutes or so, she asked me some basic questions and gave me plenty of time to answer. She just sat there and listened with a caring expression. At no time did I feel anxious, pressured, or judged. I felt like I could say anything that I wanted, or needed, to say, and she’d just take it in. At the end of the fifty minute period, the shrink gave me some options for further therapy, I scheduled an appointment, and I was on my way. I never expected to open up the way that I did, nonetheless with a complete stranger in Perkins.

It’s important to talk to someone if you find yourself overwhelmed with school or anything else in life. It can be difficult to discuss personal issues, even with very close friends and family. I found my appointment at the counseling center to be very helpful, and I’m excited to return for further counseling. I highly recommend calling the counseling center if you ever find yourself in need of guidance or even just emotional support.

You can make an appointment in person at the counseling center or by calling 302-831-2141(during business hours). The counseling center also offers emergency support by phone at 302-831-2226(24hr service for evenings and weekends).

University of Delaware