The Send Silence Packing movement hit campus yesterday

1,100 lives were ended too soon

Students of the University of Delaware were taken on an enlightening journey while walking through the green yesterday. 1,100 backpacks lined the lush grass, each representing 1,100 student suicides that occur annually. Each backpack reminds us of a life that ended too soon.

This movement was organized by the University of Delaware’s Active Minds Club in order to spread awareness of student suicide and end the stigma. Each backpack shared a personal story of a student who lost their life. The Send Silence Packing puts a “face” to each life lost to suicide and carries the message that preventing suicide is not just about improving statistics, but also about saving the lives of daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, and friends across the nation.

The display intends to encourage open conversation pertaining to mental illness and serves as an outlet for survivors’ grief as well as a powerful way to raise awareness and work towards suicide prevention.

UD was not the only college campus to take part in the fight to end mental illness stigma, thousands of college campuses across the United States took part in this powerful movement.  Since 2008, Send Silence Packing has traveled to over 100 cities across America.

Mental illness has powerful impact on each and every one of us. I too experienced the impact of this exhibit today after opening up to one of my classmates about the topic of mental illness and how it has affected us both.

The display truly shows students that issues of mental illness are more widespread and common then we may perceive. We should commend those brave enough to speak up about their battles with mental illness for their stories have the capability to save lives. Do not be afraid to seek help and encourage loved ones to do the same.

This display reminds us our campus and student body is a support system. If you or anyone you know is in need of help remember that there are various resources available.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is always avaliable at 800- 273-TALK (8255) or text BRAVE to the Crisis Text Line (741-741).

For resources on how to “Be a Friend” for someone with mental illness, visit www.ActiveMinds.org/BeAFriend.

University of Delaware