UConn students reflect on the reality of President Trump

Not everyone is happy with the President elect

Early yesterday morning, Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton to become the 45th President of the United States. It has been a long, controversial road for Trump, who notorious claimed to “grab women by the pussy” in a 2005 tape.

College students are by far the most liberal population in America, which has many students across the country protesting Trump’s election. UConn joined in on the country-wide protests with a rally today outside Wilbur Cross where students came armed with signs saying “yes means yes” and chanting “Fuck Trump,” “Black Lives Matter,” and “Love Trumps Hate,” yet there’s a much deeper aspect to student opinions than what they could fit on a small poster.

#dumptrump is apparently a new favorite hashtag

UConn senior and Secondary Social Studies Education major Elaina Rampolla says that students, along with the rest of the country, are in shock, and as long as Trump does not make any hasty decisions, people will come around to his Presidency:

“The people that supported Trump are excited obviously, but the other demographic of people that supported Clinton are absolutely shocked.

“As long as something incredibly drastic isn’t announced by him, I think that people will start to accept him as president, in reality its the best option for people right now.”

UConn junior, Lynsey Grzejszczak says that the election has had a negative impact on our campus, as many people have been negatively labeled for who they supported:

“It seems that no matter who you supported you’re labeled as that person’s voter, and seen in that negative light,” she said.

The History and Human Rights major went on to say that despite people’s characteristics, if they voted for Trump, they were seen as “a certain type of person”.

“All the characteristics that make you who you are are no longer relevant and you are is then seen to be like him because you’re ‘supporting his ideals’ when in reality you might not… This election became about the candidate who was the lesser of the two evils,” she said.

If one percent of those who’d voted for Gary Johnson had voted for Hillary, Trump would not be our current President-elect.

“I know so many people who couldn’t bring themselves to vote either Hillary or Trump, but also wanted their note to count which is why they didn’t go third party,” she said.

UConn senior Kenneth Thompson agreed that both candidates were not suitable for the presidency:

“I could not trust either candidate. The emails from Clinton were horrible and Trump is a businessman, not a politician,” he said. However, the Psychology major believes that campus life will remain the same for him for the remainder of his time here.

“Life will be the same for me and as long as Trump doesn’t do anything too crazy, I think we’ll be fine,” he said.

President Obama is remaining hopeful as well as he addressed the nation today, rooting for Trump’s success in leading this country, and similar sentiments are panning out across campus.

“Honestly I’m optimistic in hoping he can do good. He understands business so I’m hoping he helps with the debt and trade,” Grzejszczak said.

During Hillary Clinton’s speech to her supporters,  she expressed that she is sad about losing the election, yet she hopes that the country will come together after this election. Clinton’s vision is no doubt an attainable goal.

University of Connecticut America basketball campus clinton democracy democrats donald trump election hate hillary hillary clinton immigrants LGBT love president-elect protest republicans solidarity speech studnets trump uconn undocumented voting