UConn students gather to honor Jeffny Pally

A candlelight vigil was held for the UConn sophomore who passed away Sunday

A candlelight vigil was held Tuesday night in memory of 19-year-old UConn student Jeffny Pally. Students gathered on Fairfield Way to remember the charismatic student who died Sunday morning when she was struck by a fire department vehicle.

Family and friends of Jeffny were also in attendance, some of whom gave some very touching remarks.

On her cheerfulness:

“I never once saw Jeffny without a smile on her face…I have never met someone so lovely and so genuine”

On her supportive and helpful nature:

“Whether it was academic stresses, social pressures, or whatever; Jeffny was always there to console her friends”

On her dedication to her studies:

“(Jeffny) was a highly motivated student and an incredible young woman. She was the person that young girls strive to be”

On the beauty of so many UConn students assembling in one place to remember a classmate who left this earth all too soon:

“Being part of the UConn community means more than just being classmates. It’s times like this when we strive to support each other like a family.”

Jeffny’s mother also spoke at the vigil, well-composed, with the oration and charisma of a head of state:

“Today I looked at her picture, and I felt like she was really smiling at me… One thing I can tell you is that God has given me immense power and strength; there is no pain, there is not going to be a pain in our lives more than this.”

The service ended with the Pally family’s pastor leading a prayer as  three Hail Mary’s, a prayer often recited by Jeffny in times of adversity, according to her mother. Pally served as a RA at UConn, and was also a member of the Delta Gamma sorority.

Courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/jpally9

Jeffny’s light lives on through the love of her family, friends, and her Delta Gamma sisters.

Students seeking support can contact Counseling and Mental Health Services at 860-486-4705.

University of Connecticut