UConn.edu pages hacked

Reddit post warns students to stay away from Uconn.edu pages until further notice

Yesterday morning, UConn.edu pages were comprised, causing a malicious pop-up to occur whenever someone attempts to visit this page.

The pop-up states the visitor’s Flash Player plugin is outdated, and it needs to be upgraded to continue. But clicking OK may result in dangerous viruses or malware being downloaded onto one’s computer or one’s UConn credentials being stolen.

According to a post on Reddit, the origin of the hack appears to lead back to a server in Pakistan, and it is believed that the purpose of the hack is to steal UConn students credentials.

No UConn servers have actually been hacked, but websites with a UConn.edu domain name will redirect to the pop-up. Even attempting to enter the site from a Google link will lead to the pop-up.

It is believed that student data, including email information, are safe. The university has been working since 11 am to resolve the issue and does not anticipate that winter session classes will be affected by the breach.

University of Connecticut