Greek life earned diversity credits for Standing With Mizzou

‘The diversity requirement only furthers tensions by forcing halfhearted attendance at a very heartfelt event’

An email has emerged suggesting that fraternity and sorority members attend the Standing With Mizzou march to fulfill their “diversity event requirement.”

A fraternity member has told The Tab the move meant “halfhearted attendance at a very heartfelt event.”

The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life instituted the new requirement for all of its chapters this semester. The new component of the Expectations of Excellence for UConn Greeks is called Diversity and Civility Education.

The policy says: “Each member of every organization is required to participate in an approved Diversity & Civility program. Failure to meet requirements by the established deadline will result in your organization being frozen and may result in loss of privileges (funding, space reservations, etc.) and/or university recognition.”

Yesterday’s rally was well attended. Estimates range from 200 to 400 – you can read our report here.

But there was disquiet among some in the Greek community, after the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life suggested attendance in an email to chapter presidents on Monday.

One junior frat member, who reported seeing a handful of Greek life members at the rally, told The Tab: “The diversity requirement only furthers tensions by forcing halfhearted attendance at a very heartfelt event.”

University of Connecticut mizzou mizzou protests national-us