Instagramming my food for a month made me realize who my real friends are

It was bizarrely fulfilling

It was a moderately foggy August afternoon. I sat at my kitchen table, scrolling and double-tapping through the ‘gram, and thoughtfully munching on some baby carrots.

While perusing my Explore feed, a beautifully composed picture of strawberry ice cream caught my attention. I gazed at it longingly for a moment, and then I had an epiphany mid-bite: What would happen if I made an Instagram for my food?

Would I eat more healthily? Would I improve my plating skills? Would I annoy my friends? Hell if I knew.

I immediately made an account with the handle @jamie.eats, followed an inordinate amount of people who probably did not want me to do so, and promptly posted my first photo. It was time to live like a foodstagrammer.

Started the day off with some cold and clear water! I drank it out of my hand to simulate sipping from a mountain creek. Water is an essential part of a healthy diet. I also enjoy bathing in water. Sometimes I add soap. If you're feeling brave, try gargling your water for a frothy result.

A photo posted by Jamie Eats (@jamie.eats) on Aug 4, 2016 at 5:13pm PDT

I found that I needed to work on the composition of the photos, so I experimented with succulents as garnish.

I gave cooking advice and helped people learn from my mistakes.

I introduced my followers to new kinds of cuisine.

Today I trapped this squirrel and roasted it on a spit in my backyard for lunch. Squirrel meat is a great source of protein and also anxiety. My favorite part is the ear. I keep the fur on.

A photo posted by Jamie Eats (@jamie.eats) on Aug 5, 2016 at 11:45am PDT

I even recommended food storage options to diversify my feed.

If you're looking for somewhere to store your extra food, try teeth! I keep leftovers in mine for hours at a time. Really cuts down on pantry space. Delicious!

A photo posted by Jamie Eats (@jamie.eats) on Aug 5, 2016 at 5:40pm PDT

After a week or so, my Foodstagram was thriving. The colors were brighter. The filters were stronger.

My plating skills developed into those of a learned artist.

I found that even I was starting to believe the bullshit captions I was spewing.

The strawberry pentagram is an ancient symbol that was first created by Mary Magdalene at the last supper. Or at least I think that's what I read in The Da Vinci Code.

A photo posted by Jamie Eats (@jamie.eats) on Aug 9, 2016 at 9:33pm PDT

After noticing that photos with circular formations received the most likes, I made concentric plating a priority but claimed it was for health reasons.

Man, was this addicting. And despite some of my more *ahem* alternative posts, I was actually starting to eat healthier. A beautiful foodsta requires color, and the more colorful my meal was, the more healthy it was too.

Actually, no, I didn’t start to eat healthier at all.

I experimented with a minimalist aesthetic when I had limited resources.

The general response to my Foodstagram ranged from “pleasantly quizzical” to “I must disassociate myself from this strange girl.”

But when people responded positively to my posts, I sure knew who my real friends were.

This is how they make cinnamon sugar toast in prison

A photo posted by Jamie Eats (@jamie.eats) on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:21pm PDT

Most importantly, I learned that instagramming my food was bizarrely fulfilling. It gave me a platform to be an expert with no expertise, and as far as I can tell, my followers accepted my knowledge as the gospel truth.

UC Berkeley