Temple stands with students in wake of Trump’s immigration suspension

A statement issued by President Englert was sent to all students earlier today

In light of President Trump’s controversial immigration ban which bans refugees from entering the United States as well as denying re-entry to citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries―Temple has finally spoken out against the Trump administration.

A statement issued by President Englert is the first time the University has spoken out against a decision made by our newly elected president.

A JFK protester

In the email sent to all students at 1:00 pm, President Englert advises international students from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen to avoid international travel until “greater clarity” is achieved in the upcoming weeks.

President Elgert continues to say that Temple “embraces diversity as integral to our mission of education and discovery. Temple is a better university because of this diversity.”

The email also introduces the office of International Student and Scholar Services as a place of solace in such an anxious and chaotic time in our country’s history.

“If you are affected by the immigration suspension, or unsure of your situation, you are invited to reach out to the office of International Student and Scholar Services (www.temple.edu/isss; [email protected]) for information on travel outside the United States and to discuss additional specific questions resulting from the immigration suspension”.

Protesters outside JFK

The public outcry towards Trump’s executive order has already caused massive spontaneous protests outside airports like JFK and around the country.

There is also a Philadelphia Protest for Humanity planned for this Saturday, February 4th. The protest is dedicated to two Syrian families, who had their visas and green cards denied at the Philadelphia International Airport after their trip to Qatar. Over 3,000 people have said they will attend this protest and 12,000 are interested of attending. Several Temple students are planning to go on their Facebook event where the protest is quickly gaining momentum.

The email our President Englert sent us ends with the message of solidarity.

“We will continue to monitor the situation and will reach out with additional information as it becomes available. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do to make our University such a diverse and welcoming place for education, scholars inquiry and service to society”.

Temple University