Temple police released a notice regarding weekend juvenile mob attacks

Here’s a few tips for staying safe

In the past few days there have been multiple attacks on students by groups of juveniles. Some students have reported the attacks to the campus police, while others just simply brushed it off.

Many students and parents have been worrying about these occurrences and were confused as to why Temple police had not reported it. But, today at 1:27 pm, Temple police sent out a notice informing the Temple community about what has been going on.

In the email they explain that the group of juveniles seemed to gather together through posts on social media and then met outside the movie theater on the corner of Broad and Oxford St. this weekend. From there they went around to different streets committing assaults. The juveniles were also reported doing the same thing on Saturday, October 15th.

This is quite frightening for both students and parents alike. The advice “never walk alone” doesn’t really apply anymore because the juveniles were reported attacking a boy and girl walking home together. Tina Dalaperas, a Temple junior, stated how her parents were worried when she first decided to come to Temple, and they gave her that exact advice.

“They were always worried about me coming to Temple because, first of all, it’s very different from my hometown,” Tina said. “People from back home don’t have a good perception of North Philly and my parents had heard a story of a girl transferring just because she couldn’t handle being in North Philly as a girl. So when I came here they always told me to be conscientious of my surroundings and never be alone walking around.”

Temple police stated in their email that they are doing their best to have an increased amount of officers around campus to keep students safe. Their suggestions to students were to use the campus resources like the walking escort program or the shuttle service, Flight.

But here are a few additional tips to keep safe on and around campus. Some of them may seem rather obvious, but most students don’t follow them.

Carry pepper spray on your keychain

Having this with you is an easy way to get a little extra protection. It is nice to know that if you were ever put in a bad situation you have the pepper spray in your hands. It may not completely save you from an unwanted encounter, but it will definitely help you buy some time.

Stay off your phone

Every student hears this all the time but it really is true. So many people have gotten their phone swiped out of their hands from walking down a street texting. In order to be aware of what is happening both behind you and in front of you, you need to have your eyes focused on the road and not on the most recent Instagram posts.

Be conscientious of what time of day it is

Temple police even said in their email to make sure you walk in well lit places, and with fall here (and winter coming) it’s just going to get darker earlier — so make sure you are aware of that. If you have a late night at the Tech Center be sure to take one of Temple’s services or find another way instead of walking back to your apartment alone.

Use Uberpool for only 99 cents

When you are at a friend’s house at midnight and need to walk home alone, the 99 cents is totally worth it. You get a ride to your doorstep and don’t have to risk putting yourself in danger. You will be thanking yourself for paying the price of an Uber when you receive that TU alert of an armed robbery near your street.

Put the number for campus police on speed-dial

During freshmen orientation they make everyone put the Temple police phone number in their phones, but it’s probably best to put it under favorites or on speed dial so that if an emergency happens the number is right there for you to click on.

At the end of the day, Temple is located directly in the city so crime is an aspect. You have to become street smart and be aware of your surroundings.

If anything we, as students, are learning life lessons by living here. We just need to watch out for ourselves and each other by making smart decisions and not risking anything.

Temple University