Catcalling ruined my favorite skirt

We are more than what we wear

Growing up you’re conditioned to either ignore or enjoy the vulgar comments that will inevitably be thrown at you at some point. Standing up for yourself usually wasn’t encouraged: it either makes you an ungrateful bitch who can’t take a ‘compliment’ or in some cases, puts you in danger. But ladies aren’t taking any more of that shit.

If catcalling were a tier system it would start at a fading wolf whistle driving away in a car to hearing, “Don’t think you can run away from me in that tiny skirt” to “I’ll give you $20 to suck my (I’m sure you can fill in the blank).” In what world is that flattering? Or harmless?

In one night, I experienced all of this while walking alone down Broad Street in North Philadelphia. It was the first time I truly felt unsafe on Temple’s campus, and I immediately knew why I was suddenly receiving so much unwanted attention: I was wearing a skirt.

Last time I checked, Brandy Melville didn’t include, “Warning: wearing this skirt will result in sexual harassment because men can’t handle seeing legs” in the online description.

“Hey baby girl, don’t think you can run away from me in that tiny skirt.”

A skirt that once brought me power and confidence was instantly ruined by the touch of over-sexualization. Despite the bright future of endless outfits I once envisioned for this skirt, it’s now thrown in the back of my closest – reminding me of how disgusted and unsafe I felt that night.

Girls should never underestimate the power of looking good, but the disgusting nature of catcalling has done just that. Outfits we once loved to wear because we felt confident or simply comfortable, are now tainted by unwanted comments from strangers.

And we’re over it.

Gail Vivar,  Sophomore, Journalism

“To the guys who catcalled me in this dress – I get it. You saw some boobs and you got excited. But let’s remember that one day your daughter will have to hear the same comments I heard from you.”

Sarah Madaus, Sophomore, Journalism 

“I was walking to class in this romper and an older man nearly squeezed my boobs and said ‘Wow, give me some of that!’ I wanted to run home and change my outfit more than anything after that moment. I felt self-conscious, ashamed, angry and objectified. Catcalling is not a compliment, and it will never be okay.”

Emily Hipp, Freshman, Theatre Education

“I usually just roll my eyes or flip them off because they should learn how to respect human beings. It pisses me off that we’re in a society that let’s that be OK and that the man running for president of our country is encouraging that type of behavior.”

Courtney Diec, Freshman, Environmental Science 

“I once got catcalled while wearing sweats and walking to my first class. Who even has the energy to do that at 8am in the morning?”

Bri Riordan, Sophomore, Nursing

“I’m frustrated that I can’t even walk home in peace and not have to worry about it if I make accidental eye contact while walking by a man.”

Jacquelyn Fricke, Sophomore, Early Education

“To the men who beeped and winked at me from their cars – I am not your piece of property to be identified as appealing or not. You don’t get to tell me your vulgar opinions.”

Anisa Eshraghi, Sophomore, Neuroscience 

“One of the most terrible things about catcalling is the fact that it makes women afraid of all the men they see on the street. True men are kind and respectful. It’s just the few that can’t keep their disgusting thoughts to themselves that ruin it for everyone else.”

It doesn’t take wearing a short skirt to get catcalled. It doesn’t matter if you’re wearing a dress, skirt, jeans, or sweatpants – catcalling will never be OK.

Girls are so much more than what they decide to wear.

Temple University