Homecoming parade undeterred by Stadium Stompers protest

‘I think this protest is a very important demonstration because it shows how it feels to have something disrupt your community’

This afternoon Temple University students witnessed the return of the Stadium Stompers, the movement of community members and students coming together to stop the building of Temple’s stadium advocate for the North Philly community.

The Stadium Stompers intended to disrupt the homecoming festivities at the Bell Tower, but students and the organizers behind the parade were undeterred in their celebrations.

As the chants grew louder, students wondered why the group chose this moment to protest again. Their protests were a significant force on campus last semester, but until now, they haven’t seemed active this school year.

The Ladies of Elegance started to perform right in front of the protesters, who resurrected their familiar chant: “Down with the Stadium.” The music never stopped playing for the dance group, who didn’t hesitate to keep pumping up the crowd.

Within the few short minutes of the disruption, the crowds surrounding the area got a bit riled up. Tensions rose, and Temple students weren’t ready to let this protest take over their festivities.

Eleni Latsios, a Temple junior pictured above, said, “I’m very confused why they chanted Black Lives Matter during their protest. Why would they assume that people don’t care about Black Lives Matter if they support the stadium being built. . . And to say Temple doesn’t care about North Philadelphia is absolute bullshit, considering the only thing Temple has done is bring economic activity to the area.”

Tyler Velez, Sophomore, Finance

Tyler Velez, a sophomore who’s involved with the Stadium Stompers, had a different view:

“I think this protest is a very important demonstration because it shows how it feels to have something disrupt your community. This stadium will cause traffic, displace the community and many more things – that’s why we’re here to protest against the stadium.”

Temple University