Engineering students are petitioning the potential closing of their library

Don’t mess with the engineering students

The Science and Engineering library has been their safe haven for many engineering students but due to renovations the Dean has informed students about the potential closing of the SEL after June 30th.

Engineering students like fifth year Mechanical Engineer student, Christopher Dyer, says that without the SEL library, his success would have not been the same without the environment that the library brings for students like himself.

Christopher Dyer, fifth year Mechanical Engineer major, is one of the many students who is grateful to have the library.

“I would have failed out of engineering school after my second year because I was a commuter and did not have any chance to collaborate with other students.”

Christopher is not the only engineering student who feels this way. It was just a few days ago that an online petition and a hard copy petition, was available for students to sign against the closing of this library.

Many were left wondering to what was the real story behind the closing of the library since near the entrance of the library, a sign exclaimed that after June 30th, the Engineering Library will no longer exist and be converted into faculty offices.

Not only did the petition at the library generate pages of student signatures, but the online petition has over 800 signatures as of now.

Many of these students were outraged that they would not have a location for their group projects, daily meetings, and an overall support system from people that are in the same major as them.

Keya Sadeghipour, Dean of the College of Engineering, sent out an email to clarify on the potential closing of the library.

“In the past 10 years, we have grown from a student body of about 700 to nearly 2,000 and expect at least yet another 10 percent growth in the next academic year. We have, and continue, to face challenges with regards to sustaining and creating additional teaching and research lab facilities for our students and faculty. Recognizing the important role that SEL serves to students, I have searched for alternative spaces. Unfortunately, this has been difficult to find on campus. Consequently, the plan is to convert the space into needed teaching and research labs. The college is acutely aware of how much our students love and utilize the SEL. However, we also have to consider our obligation to offer students the best modern teaching and research labs for their education.”

The Dean emphasizes that if construction is to proceed, it will be done in phases over two years, not closing on June 30th. He also says the new university library that is under construction, will include facilities that the SEL fulfills for the engineering students.

He ends the email by informing the students that they are currently exploring to use the first floor space to provide similar computer and breakout areas until the new library opens.

Till then, many students have voiced their concern that the first floor space will not be sufficient. Coleen Kane, a senior Mechanical Engineer student, is one of the students who does not agree with the relocation of the SEL library.

“The relocation of the SEL to the downstairs is inadequate because it is barely a quarter of the size,” Kane said. “Stripping students away from a library is basically the school telling its students that it doesn’t care about their education. If that’s the case, why would new incoming students want to attend this institution?”

Although, the Dean has notified the students of this relocation, not closing, many students will need to be patient to see how the plans work out next year.

Temple University