Why everyone should consider mentoring

We are their role models

There’s no question college is the best time of our young lives, especially if you go to Temple University. We have it all, from the academics to the student organizations. In an attempt to go outside of my comfort zone, I decided to join DREAM on their weekly Friday mentoring sessions near campus.

I’m good with children, but I met a little boy who wouldn’t laugh at my jokes or talk to me. I thought maybe I’m just not funny and probably should just leave him alone. However in my last attempt to get a conversation going, he finally spoke to me when I asked if he was happy that the weekend was finally here.

To my surprise, the little boy said sternly that he would rather be in school instead. I was curious, why would a boy at his age, want to be in school? Shouldn’t he want to watch television or do anything other than that?

I asked him why would he say such a thing, and he proudly said “I like my education.” This seven-year-old boy didn’t know it, but he made my day by just saying that.

Fotterall Square is the playground that the DREAM kids play in, including the other children from the area as well

At that moment, it hit me how serious he was when he answered my question. I knew he had a story to tell and when I looked around, I knew all of these kids have some type of story that is waiting to be told or be heard.

I watched the kids play with their mentors who were truly their best friends. However, observing them play made me realize the reality they live in. I was amazed that despite the conditions of the park, the kids immediately adjusted to it.

My hometown’s playground for the kids

A few days ago, I visited the playground of my hometown where I couldn’t stop but think how different both of these parks were. My town just renovated the main playground and then I look at Fotterall Square, where these kids come for an hour or so, and they have no swings and a tiny space to play in. I could see the faces of the mothers and grandmothers there, they all looked concerned and frustrated that the kids do not have a good park to play in.

These kids shouldn’t have to worry if they will encounter these things and it made me want to stand up for them and scream at the idiot who would do such a thing. But despite that, the kids were truly enjoying themselves, something I couldn’t stop but admire. They were climbing the rusty monkey bars and running around with sticks, even though they could see how badly kept it was with all the litter lying around. One of the kids even showed me a sharp object that he found on the floor of the playground, which left me speechless since he reacted like it was not a big deal.

Despite all of this, everyone was having a good time and that’s when it hit me that I needed to join this student organization. The smiles and laughter I observed from the DREAM kids and the mentors motivated myself to advocate for the North Philadelphia’s kids, who do not know that they deserve more than just an abandoned playground.

The boy I mentioned before told me he wanted to become a doctor or a boxer. I just smiled because he has dreams that not many kids in North Philadelphia kids are willing to say out loud. As a Temple student, I believe that we all should take a moment to realize that if we can’t help the whole community as a whole, then we should at least help the kids receive mentorship or support from us.

We might not know this, but they look up to us when we walk around their neighborhoods. Let’s not just spend four years ignoring the fact these children do not have the same the blessings as us. We live in their community and there’s plenty of student organizations that students should consider joining like DREAM or Big Brothers and Sisters next semester.

Since joining DREAM, I look forward to Friday afternoons and I never know what to expect with the children. I might be having the worst week with finals nearby and papers needed to be written, but once I’m with the kids, I forget about my stress. It’s my way to destress and hear about their day when we play “Rose and Thorn,” a game where everyone talks about the best part of our week (the rose) and the worst (the thorn). Knowing that some of the kid’s rose is coming to DREAM, I know that choosing to mentor is making a difference in both their and my life.

Temple University