People have been waiting outside the Liacouras Center for Bernie Sanders since 6:30 a.m.

#FeelingtheBern

Temple students and residents of Philadelphia are already #FeelingtheBern outside of the Liacouras Center. Students and non-students have been lined up since early this morning just so they could get their spot at tonight’s rally.

The first person to arrive in line at Bernie Sanders’ A Future to Believe in Rally was Liz Maratea, who had already pledged her support for the Vermont Senator. Maratea got in line as the sun was rising at 6:30 a.m.

This determined supporter was accompanied by Elils Skamaeakas, a 15-year-old who before discovering Mr. Sanders had no interest in politics.

“What got me into him was his combination of charisma and his policies,” Elils said.

Both of them had been involved with Senator Sanders’ campaign since the launch of his campaign last spring.

“He gave me an honest option about fighting for the middle class and I felt like he was the only candidate on my side.”

This is not Liz’s first political rodeo. She saw President Obama and Senator McCain several years ago at the Grand Canyon. It’s also not her first time waiting in a line for this long: “This is the longest I’ve waited in line since the release of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows book,” she said.

Not too far down the line, sophomore Morgan O’Donnel was spotted wearing a shirt covered with Bernie 2016 stickers. She got in line at 9 a.m. and skipped class for the event that she called a “once in a lifetime.” She is one of two people who run the twitter account @Bernie_TU.

“With the account we want to represent Temple students who support Bernie and spread the support to the rest of the city,” she said.

A group of high school students smiled for a group photo with a Sanders yard sign that they hung up next to their spot in line. Though most of the high-schoolers will not be of age to vote in the primary, which is less than three weeks away, they did not want to miss out on the opportunity.

“The teachers know that we are all skipping right now, but seeing Bernie is worth the detention,” said Ciciran Roth, one of the students.

Sheila Brown, Graduate student, Social Work 

“I agree with everything that he wants to do in our country and I just know that this will be be a fantastic turnout. I couldn’t wait any longer to come see Bernie, so I came early.” *throws peace sign*

Jeff Weaver, Criminal Justice, Senior 

“I skipped all of my classes for this, hope my professors take this as an excuse.”

Tracy Golva, High School Senior from Philadelphia 

“I’m so excited to see Bernie! He’s an inspiration to myself since I would want to be like him if I decide to go into politics.”

Temple University