What I wish I knew as a freshman

Try to make the most of it

Transitioning into college is a big step, so think of this as a cheat sheet for getting through it.

Don’t procrastinate so much

Not only does procrastination cause stress, but it doesn’t help you get an A.
Staying up until 8 am finishing your research paper running on Red Bull, coffee, and Adderall isn’t healthy. Not only does it ruin your whole plan to lose the weight you’ve gained from partying every weekend, but it also ruins your whole next day (or week I should say). Your sleeping schedule is a mess, and you are a zombie for the next couple of days.

You don’t HAVE to go out when it’s a blizzard or raining, even though it is the weekend

You can stay in, stay warm, and avoid getting sick.

Now, I know that isn’t ideal, but you can have a girls night or dudes night and still drink with one other . . . inside. It actually is a lot more fun, and it offers you a chance to get closer with your friends.
“There’s always next weekend” – My freshmen self hated when people said that and would’ve gone out in any weather condition to get fucked up. But now I realize getting drunk with a bunch of people you barely know isn’t always worth pneumonia.

You don’t have to stay over a guy’s house for him to like you

Going back to a dude’s house after a night of partying usually leads to promiscuous activities. If that boy has never asked you to hangout sober or go out on a date, he isn’t worth it. I thought boys would see me as “so much fun” for going to their house after a party. I quickly learned these boys (yes boys, because they aren’t gentlemen yet) don’t want a relationship, they just want to hook up with you when you’re drunk.

Don’t trust every new person you meet, even if they seem cool

Truth is, you will meet SO many people at college, and especially in your freshmen dormitory. But, don’t let the “I want to meet so many new people and make new friends” mindset fool you. Everyone wants to make friends their freshmen year, but you shouldn’t trust everyone right away. Give it some time while you really get to know them.

Don’t take drinks from boys at frats, get your own

I am not saying fraternities do this, but again, don’t trust everyone you meet. Protect yourself, and don’t take drinks from people you don’t really know. Unless you want to wake up the next morning in some random person’s bed, not remembering anything, don’t take the drink. Bring your own alcohol or go to the keg and pour your own beer.

Join as many organizations that interest you as possible

Why? Because that is where you meet people who are similar to you and who would make great friends. This gives you more to do then just homework during the week and parties during the weekends. Not only do the organizations look amazing on your resume, but they teach time management skills and keep you busy with something interesting.

Do not look “cute” for class every day

We are here to learn. Unless you’re giving a presentation or it’s a holiday, do not dress up. Throw your hair up, get more sleep, and sleep in. Nobody cares what you’re wearing to class. If you’re a girl, stock up on leggings and t-shirts, you want to be comfy and easily able to move around. If you’re a dude, sweatpants are the way to go. They’re comfy and don’t make you look like you care too much about what you look like.

Don’t immediately plan to live with a group of people you have known for only three months

By the end of second semester, you could be regretting that decision. Living with 6 girls in one apartment is not always fun . . . trust me. You don’t see everyone’s true colors right away, but if you sign that lease and spend the next year with those people, you’ll see them.

Explore outside of campus

You will find so many amazing things you never knew about. At Temple University, we are so close to center city, and many of the students don’t spend enough time exploring it. It’s amazing how much history streams from the city of Philadelphia. There are so many free events that take place in the city that not enough students utilize. Get on the Broad Street Line, go shopping, and try new foods. If you’re struggling with money like I did, get a job. It can be hard to balance with school, but at least you’re not constantly asking mom and dad for that extra $20 bucks.

Take opportunities

First off, don’t let the title “freshmen” limit your possibilities. You can apply to an internship that says “looking for sophomore or junior candidates.” You have just as much potential as older students. The key is being confident in yourself. I had an internship my freshmen year where I worked with upperclassmen at surrounding colleges, and no one once stopped to ask me, “Hey wait, aren’t you a freshmen?” If someone says you would be a perfect fit for an organization on campus, check it out. Even if you really aren’t interested, maybe attending the first meeting will sway your opinion.

Last off, enjoy it

It is a huge transition living on your own and learning things first hand for yourself. Don’t waste your time away at college, take advantage of it.

Temple University