Let’s be honest: Is an on-campus stadium a good idea?

Community opinion split between staying at a nationally recognized stadium or getting our very own

The Temple football team has no doubt brought pride to the university, along with an all-time high recognition that our university is receiving, many students have more reasons to say that they are proud to be a Temple Owl.

However, talks about a plan to build an on-campus stadium is in discussion amongst the Temple Administration, which poses a question if this is the right choice to make.

The proposed stadium, according to the Temple News, is planned to affect the Amos Recreation Center and Geasey Field, where local children can be found playing in the playgrounds or playing basketball with their friends.

The Tab asked students on campus and locals from the area how they felt about this plan to build an on campus stadium.

Curtis Lee, local

“Why do they not put money into the neighborhood schools? Instead of a stadium, why not help out the community… it’s not only Temple here.”

Kierra Smith, Sophomore, Therapeutic Recreation

“I don’t think we need a new stadium. We play at a nice stadium and we shouldn’t take away from the community.”

Juan Seda, local resident and employee

“Yes they should build it. It will bring jobs to the community and that’s what we need.”

Ryan Cushing, Sophomore, Film

“I think there’s plenty of other student organizations that could use the money instead of building a new stadium.”

Brittany Rutledge, Alumna

“A new stadium would bring Temple pride to the community.”

Matthew Janis, Freshman, Theater

“I don’t think it’s a great idea because having our games at the Linc is good, so why build a new stadium?”

Elizabeth L. Sweet, Geography Professor at Temple

“I think there needs to be a way in which the  community members are part of this process.”

Olufisayo Taiwo, Sophomore, Psychology

“I think it’s kind of awful if we took away from the community and their playgrounds.”

Rick McCloud, local

“I think it’s better to build it somewhere else other than where they are planning to build it.”

Trudy Smith, Sophomore, Public Health

“It’s a good idea, but it’s bad for the community.”

Abigail Klein, Senior, Marketing

“I’m mixed about it, I think it’s cool to play in the Linc and it makes us special.”

Victoria Rasp, Sophomore, Therapeutic Recreation

“Although it would be awesome to have our own stadium, I don’t think we need it. We have a perfectly good stadium to use.”

Jessica Costanzi, Freshman, Therapeutic Recreation

“It’s a great idea since it would bring more attention to the campus and much more easier to go to the games.”

Julie Ozlek, Junior, Marketing

“It’s not smart to build a new stadium. Everyone likes going to the Linc and the money should go towards the academics at Temple.”

Rosaline Eason, local

“I think they should build it. It’s Temple’s first time having a team like this.”

Temple University