Rutgers track is set to win big at the 123rd Penn Relays

Rutgers has a chance at taking home three of this weekend’s biggest wins

Ranking as one of the most coveted awards in collegiate track and field is the gold watch from the Penn Track and Field Relays. And this weekend, Rutgers has one of the best chances at winning big during this season’s Penn Relays.

Led by fifth-year senior and local New Jersey High School star, Emeka Eze, Rutgers’ Track and Field team stands in great contention to win both the long jump and triple jump events.

via Scott R. Galvin/GALVIN PHOTO, LLC

Additionally, Rutgers is also set to win awards in the men’s javelin event under the reign of junior, Chris Mirabelli, as well as in the men’s 4×400 meter relay.

Taking place throughout the weekend, this three-day long event will be housed in Philadelphia’s legendary Franklin Field and will garner crowds as large as 50,000 spectators.

In a statement made to app.com, Emeka Eze stated, “I’m beyond excited to be able to compete in front of thousands of people, there’s no feeling like it.”

Expressing his goals for the future, Eze explained that for the moment he is aiming to bring back both Rutgers jumping titles at the Penn Relays as well as at the Big Ten Championship occurring next month. With his optimism and dedication, Eze hopes to soon qualify for the NCAAs as well.

Along with Eze, Rutgers junior Chris Mirabelli is set to take home the Penn Relays’ coveted gold watch for the men’s javelin event. Having taking the top speed, Mirabelli hopes to out-rank his second place win at last years relay.

via Rutgers Athletics

Anticipating great things from this year’s relay, Mirabelli said that “One of [his] biggest goals throughout high school and college has been to win the gold watch you get at the Penn Relays, it’s way up there on my bucket list.”

As a two-time qualifier in the NCAA Championships, Rutgers has no doubt that Mirabelli will uphold his program record as well as his current status as the Big Ten Champion during the 123rd annual Penn Relay taking place this weekend.

To support your fellow Scarlet Knights and the entire Rutgers Track and Field team, tune in to the NBC Sports Network weekend broadcast or watch the entire livestream on USATF.TV.

Rutgers University