Rutgers wrestler found dead after car veers off road

Sam Cali was 19 years old

New Jersey Department of Transportation workers unearthed a tragic scene while collecting litter on Monday morning. Two 19-year-old college students were ejected from their car after it veered off the road and then overturned. It apparently hit several trees as it tumbled into the steep brush.

The accident occurred on the southbound side of I-287, in Mahwah, NJ.

The two men who were later pronounced dead were Sam Cali and Leo Vagias, both natives of Towaco, New Jersey. Sam Cali was a rising sophomore at Rutgers and was a member of the Rutgers Wrestling team.

Leo Vagias played for the University of Rhode Island’s football team. The two were best friends and both were incredible student athletes.

Rutgers Wrestling coach Scott Goodale, posted a statement saying:

“Sam was a great young man who everyone on the team truly loved being around. He loved wrestling and being part of our Rutgers family. Anytime you lose a teammate it hurts, and this hurts really bad. We send our prayers to the families and will keep Sam a part of everything that we do.”

Rutgers Wrestling also tweeted a photo of Sam after news of the accident and it has been since retweeted overĀ 1,000 times.

Sam Cali had just finished his freshman year at Rutgers.

We send our condolences to all who have been affected by this tragedy.

Rutgers University