Suspect identified in Van Dyck assault

It happened on May 4th

RUPD has issued a crime alert annoucing that the suspect of the earlier reported physical and attempted sexual assault of a female student has been identified.

“The suspect in this incident has been identified as Michael P. Knight, a 37 year old resident of Newark, New Jersey not affiliated with Rutgers University. A warrant has been issued for his arrest charging him with aggravated assault, aggravated sexual contact, kidnapping, and endangering. Knight, who remains at large, is described as having shoulder length dreadlocks that are tied at the back of his head, standing 6-feet, 2-inches tall, weighing between 220 and 250 pounds. Knight has several tattoos, including one on the side of his neck which contains the letter, ‘D.'”

Crime Stoppers of Middlesex county also released a report that expanded on Knight’s description along with identifying photos, saying, “Knight, who may be armed and is considered dangerous, also was charged with terroristic threats for threatening to kill a man who attempted to follow Knight as he fled the scene of  the attack.”

In addition to the vague descriptions of Knight’s tattoos given by RUPD, Crime Stoppers said that he also has a “heart shaped tattoo on his forearm with writing, a tattoo on his upper right arm,” and tattoos on his left arm.

Knight is also wanted by the Township of South Brunswick for Burglary with bail set at $5000 and by the City of Newark for criminal mischief.

RUPD, the New Brunswick Police Department, and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office again are asking that anyone with more information about Michael Knight’s location or on the incident contact Detective Sgt. Carlos Rodriguez of RUPD at (848)932-8025, or Detective George Stillwell of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732)745-8675. Crime Stoppers of Middlesex County is offering a cash reward of up to $1000 for those with information as well. Individuals can go through the website, call toll free at 1-800-939-9600, or send texts to 274637 with the word “midtip” followed by a message. All who give tips can remain anonymous.

Rutgers University