Rutgers apologizes for sub-par living conditions in Newell’s

A petition to demand refunds for students living there has amassed over 200 signatures

People already feel the need to bash cook whenever someone tells them they live on the prettiest campus at Rutgers.

“Oh you live on Cook? I’m so sorry.”

Living on Cook is actually pretty great but if you’ve lived in the Newells you know all about the “sub-par” living conditions in those apartments. Now Rutgers University themselves have even apologised for the living conditions in there. The apology came after an electrical line under the apartments ruptured according to a report on NJ.com.  Rutgers has said it would take full responsibility and issue an “inconvenience credit”, a form of reimbursement for the students affected.

“It is our intention, in some fashion, to compensate these residents for the inconvenience they’ve gone through,” senior Vice President for institutional planning and operations, told NJ.com.

The apology comes after a Rutgers student, Clarissa Lopez, started a Change.org petition to demand students living in the Newells were refunded for their poor experience, which has so far amassed over 200 signatures.

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 18.00.33

The Newells are located on the Cook campus which run between the border of North Brunswick and New Brunswick.  The Cook Campus Center, Gym, and Neilson Dining Hall are all in very reasonable walking distance.  Each apartment has four residents and rent is $8,000 for the 9-month term, roughly $888/month.

You can sign the petition here.

Rutgers University