Author Julia Alvarez comes to Rutgers

It was an irresistible infusion of culture and comedy

Julia Alvarez, esteemed author of “In the Time of the Butterflies”, came to Rutgers last night to give a reading of her poems, her novel, and to answer questions before sitting down for a book signing.

The popular artist was born in New York, however, her family was forced back to the Dominican Republic during times of political duress.

Her infused identity and bravery have helped her to write such inspired novels, many of which you’ve probably read or heard of.

Students, staff, and fans alike showed up at 8 p.m. on Thursday, not disappointed as they listened to her award-winning words of wisdom.

She also had something interesting to present- one of her short stories about the blend of Spanish and English languages (or “Spanglish”) is on those Chipotle bags we know so well.

Alvarez read a hilarious and charming story that she wrote about a son moving to America with his mother, trying to assimilate and overcome a language barrier in the most heartwarming- and hilarious of ways.

Alvarez also shared some of her narrative poetry, a comical, romantic, and cultural infusion of language.

In the excerpts she read, she speaks about her experience coffee farming and being married, and the challenges that come with both.

Students and fans lined up after the presentation to purchase some of her works, and to get their copies signed and take pictures with the famous author. Refreshments were served, and Alvarez was welcoming to all who wanted an autograph.

Rutgers University