Meet Jermaine Griffith, the RU junior competing in the Olympics

If we still wrote those ‘what I did over my summer vacation’ essays, I’m pretty sure he’d win

Most college students look forward to their summer break so they can go on relaxing vacations, earn some credit and experience in an internship, or simply take a break from the craziness that is college. For one RU junior, summer break means realizing one of the highest career goals and athlete can work towards.

Jermaine Griffith will be checking a goal off his bucket list this summer when he represents his country, Guyana, in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Like many other aspiring athletes, Griffith expressed interest in one day making it to the Olympics when he started competing during his freshman year at Nottingham High School. His dreams started to become a reality after he ran his two fastest career times in the 400 meter dash at the NCAA National Championships.

His times of 46.1 and 45.8 seconds caught the attention of one of his teammates, who connected him with an Ohio State track coach who was previously on the Guyanese Olympic team. Getting in touch with the coach was what got the process started for the young Olympic hopeful.

Even though he is officially on the Guyanese team for the 4×400 meter relay event, Griffith is careful about not letting his excitement get to him. “I actually haven’t qualified just yet,” Griffith said. “I am on the team but this summer, if I don’t hit the Olympic standard at Nationals, I will be running in the Guyanese trials on June 18.”

For the time being, though, he is aiming to balance the average student-athlete lifestyle. The junior recently became a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated and continues to train and compete for Rutgers with the help of his teammates and brothers. “My brothers have been great with working with me and my track schedule so I’m able to do both. I help out when I can but they understand that this is a big year for me. Their support just helps me to keep grinding.”

Now that he has achieved this, Griffith’s next goal is to inspire other young hopefuls that they can one day make it to where he is. “I definitely want to use this opportunity to show kids, especially ones in high school, that with hard work, your goals can be achieved.”

While you’re sipping margaritas at a swim up bar in Hawaii or something this summer (lucky you), catch a glimpse of the track star competing when the Olympics air from August 5 to 21.

Rutgers University