Chris Ash is the right pick for the Rutgers football program

He’s ready to tackle the challenges of next season

As Rutgers gets through the first half of the 2016 spring semester, one thing is floating around — change. No, not the changing of the seasons (even though that’s great too): It’s the change that’s been bought to the university with the new Athletic Director, Pat Hobbs. Specifically, the hiring of new head football coach Chris Ash has brought a different atmosphere to the program.

However, many wonder whether Ash is the right guy to bring change, respect, and prestige to Rutgers. From the look of what he’s done since being hired, I’d say yes.

When you come from the coaching tree of one Urban Meyers you learn a lot about coaching a team and what it takes. Ash spent the last two years under Meyers at Big Ten rival Ohio State as co-defensive coordinator. While with the Buckeyes, Ash was part of a program that won a Sugar Bowl, National Title and The Fiesta Bowl. These victories mean he’s garnered valuable information from one of the greatest head coaches in the modern era of college football.

Upon arriving to Piscataway, Ash has gained the trust and respect of not only the players, but fans, alumni, and students. He built a respectable coaching staff, bringing Special Teams Coordinator Vince Okruch and Strength and Conditioning coach Kenny Parker from the Buckeyes. Another big move was bringing Drew Mehringer from Houston, who was a huge factor in the Cougars winning the Peach Bowl over Florida State.

One thing that really drew me to Ash was him coming in with the mindset of keeping talent in the state at home. With rivals like Penn State, OSU, and Michigan luring talent out of New Jersey to play for them, he realizes that in order to build a contender you have to recruit players from your own backyard.

When National Signing Day came, Rutgers got 18 commits — 10 of them were from New Jersey alone. Many wondered if Rutgers would lose any recruits following the firing of former coach Kyle Flood in November. But to their surprise, many of them stayed intact and signed on the dotted line February 3rd.

When it comes to preparing his current roster of players for spring practice, Ash takes no shortcuts. Seven days a week, the team has strength and conditioning from 5am – 8am. He stays on his players when it comes to academics, making sure they keep up with the respected graduation rate of athletes at Rutgers.

We’ll have to wait until Rutgers’ spring game on April 23rd to see how the team looks on the field, and until September 3rd to see them put their new team on full display when they visit Pac-12 powerhouse Washington. With home games against Iowa, Illinois, and Penn State mixed in with visits to Michigan State, OSU, and Minnesota, it makes for a very tough schedule.

However, Ash embraces the challenge, and knows there’s a lot of work to be done between now and September 3rd. But don’t underestimate him or his newly revamped Scarlet Knights. Because one big win for Rutgers could change the complexion of not only their season but the Big Ten.

Rutgers University