The broke babe’s guide to buying cheap wine

Bottoms up for National Drink Wine Day

If you were cursed with expensive taste and a low budget, this one is for you.

In honor of National Drink Wine Day — yes, this is real, Google it — I thought I’d give you a little something special to kick your night off right.

Here’s your ultimate guide to buying wine on a budget courtesy of my two senior roommates, Gianna and Ashtin. Whether you like it boxed or bottled, today is the perfect excuse for you to get your buzz on during the week with no regrets. And let me remind you, it is Thirsty Thursday, after all.

Think of us as your boozy fairy godmothers

We’re here to help you treat yourself like the queen that you are.

So let’s get down to business – you’ve got your reds and your whites.

Cheap whites generally taste better than cheap reds but both have their ups and downs. Whites tend to be sweeter but also have a slightly lower alcohol content. Because reds aren’t as sugary they also don’t have as many calories — yay!

If you’re new to the world of wine, white is probably your safest bet. But if you’re feeling daring, go for a red.

White wines for beginners

Moscato — Sweet

Alcohol content: 10 percent

Best brand: Barefoot

Cost: $5.95

Pinot Grigio — Medium Dry

Alcohol content: 13-14 percent

Best brands: Barefoot and Cavit

Cost: $5.95-$7.99

Chardonnay — dry

Alcohol content: 13.5-14.5 percent

Best brands: Flipflop and Winking Owl

Cost: $3 – $4.99

Reds for beginners

Shiraz Cabernet — dry

Alcohol content: 13.5 percent

Best brands: Yellowtail and Barefoot

Cost: $5.49-5.95

Sweet Red Blend — medium dry

Alcohol content: 11-12.5 percent

Best brands: Barefoot and Oliver

Cost: $5.95-6.61

Sangria — sweet

Alcohol content: 11 percent

Best brands: Franzia boxed wine and Carlo Rossi

Cost: $7.29-11.99

Ashtin perfers sweeter wines: “They’re great for pregaming and super cheap.”

Gianna says she likes her wine a bit more dry: “I swore by Carlo Rossi my sophomore year.”

She said that’s the wine that first got her hooked. “That’s when I started my habit of blacking out on wine. That’s what happens when you drink a gallon of it.”

Oh, and if you’re too worried about ruining your Spring Break bod to treat yo self, drinking wine now officially makes you skinny. So you’re welcome for that tart tidbit and thank you, dear wine.

Purdue University national-us