So this is your first THON?

Everything you’ll need to survive the stands

At THON, always expect the unexpected it’s a 46 hour event and although 46 hours may feel like nothing to some of us for other not so experience college students THON is a challenge. From my years of trying to brave the stands at THON I have learned some valuable lessons and I’m here to share my knowledge. Fellow THONers expect the unexpected. It’s a battlefield out there and although you’re dancing FTK, if you’re unprepared you will pay for it.

Bring a couple extra pair of shoes

One pair of shoes during THON weekend will not suffice. Trust me. Take this from someone who tried to wear her old beat up track practice sneakers from senior year. You need to bring extra shoes or your feet will hurt and it will be even harder to stand, trust me by hour 24 my feet felt like they were on fire.

Bring tennis balls.

These little things are lifesavers. Even if you did forget a spare pair of sneakers tennis balls can save your life. Use them to massage your feet so your foot muscles don’t get worn out.

Bring at least 3 outfits to change into and make sure they’re comfortable.

No this is not the time to be fashionable. Just stick to t-shirts, shorts, tutus, leggings or sweatpants. Anything else is unbearable. DO NOT wear jeans. I repeat DO NOT WEAR JEANS. You will cry, I promise. Also the idea of three outfits is so that you don’t wreak of sweat and all disgusting things. Everyone knows that if you’re planning to be at THON a long time you will sweat and you can’t shower so you have to do what you can to stay remotely clean.

Some other tips for the weekend?

1. Water guns are essential.
  2. If you get to be on the floor you will want to be prepared. Chances are if your organization has a THON family the children will want to play with you. Their idea of fun usually involves chasing you with a water gun and squirting the water gun at you. You need to be armed or you will get soaked. Take this advice from someone who spent at least 15 minutes trying to dry off in the girls bathroom after practically have a full-out water gun war with a nine year old kid.
  3. You will need tissues.
  4. Over THON weekend you’ll encounter many sad stories. There’s also family hour which you will need tissues for. You will cry but it’ll all be worth it, just bring tissues
  5. Deodorant and dry shampoo are lifesavers.
  6. These two ingredients will ensure that you don’t smell weird while you’re dancing and enjoying yourself.
  7. You will need a portable charger
  8. Everyone knows it’s a no-brainer that iPhones have a really low battery life. Especially if you want to take pictures and record your time at THON. A portable charger will ensure that you can enjoy and text your mom if there’s an emergency.
  9. If you’re in a THON org look up the themed hours.
  10. If there’s anything I learned from my one year experience in Atlas its that THON orgs like to have themes to keep THON interesting. This means that there might be a pajama hour or a 90s throwback hour. The goal is to be prepared for these themes so you don’t look out of place.
  11. Bring snacks.
  12. For any of you beginners THON is fun but the food is overpriced and sometimes you can’t leave the stands for hours because your section is at full capacity. When this happens its best to keep food in your gym bag such as granola bars, carrots and crackers.
  13. Last enjoy THON. You got this.
Penn State