I made Friendsgiving dinner in a microwave and this is what happened

For all the Ina Garten wanna-be’s trapped with a microfridge

To be honest, I didn’t have high hopes for this. When I think of my dream Thanksgiving, I don’t think of a rubbery piece of turkey I microwaved myself, but I was willing to try some things out.

Everyone knows the struggle of living in a dorm, wanting real food so bad, but settling for a box of Pizza Rolls because you don’t want to move.

I wanted to make a halfway decent meal that anyone could make, whether you are trapped in East Halls or are just completely lacking all culinary skills. I decided to make mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, and green bean casserole, but completely nixed the idea of a turkey. If you want a turkey, I would highly recommend treating yourself to a rotisserie chicken. You deserve it.

This is everything you will need:

Mashed potatoes

1. Chop the potato into large chunks
  2. Put them into a Tupperware container that has a lid and cover the potatoes with water. Put the lid on loosely and microwave for seven minutes or until you can easily stick a fork into them
  3. Drain the water out of the potatoes and mash with a fork
  4. Add butter and garlic salt

Green bean casserole

1. Put the green beans, half a can of cream of mushroom soup, and a handful of crunchy onions into a bowl
  2. Stir to combine
  3. Microwave for 1 minute
  4. Stir and top with more crunchy onions

Sweet potato casserole

1. Drain the liquid out of the sweet potatoes and put them into a bowl
  2. Microwave with a few pads of butter for 45 seconds and mash with a fork
  3. Mix in two tablespoons of brown sugar
  4. Top with more brown sugar and mini marshmallows

The results? Not as bad as I expected. I invited some ~friends~ over and this is what they thought:

The mashed potatoes:

Amber: “If I was home and I ate those, I would be like, ‘This is a disappointment’ but if I was like, ‘I HAVE to make Thanksgiving in a microwave’ I would say ‘mmmmm!’

Emily: “She boiled the potatoes in a microwave….”

Steph: “These aren’t bad…if my grandma made them for Thanksgiving dinner I wouldn’t be like, ‘wow grandma these are amazing,’ but overall they are pretty good.

Amanda: “um…I enjoy them…”

Chris: “These are good. I’m having more of these.”

The green bean casserole:

Amber: “It tastes as ugly as it looks.”

Emily: “No. No. No.”

Steph: “Okay…no.”

Amanda: “I’m having none of this. I’ve decided.”

Chris: “That’s enough for me…”

The sweet potato casserole:

Amber: “Maybe just like a little cinnamon…and I want more marshmallows. And larger marshmallows.”

Emily: “It’s a very sweet potato!”

Steph: “I think you might be my grandmother.”

Amanda: “These are divine.”

Chris: “Oh my God!”

In the end, if you were desperate, it would be okay, maybe even sort of good. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend borrowing a friend’s oven and following a real recipe.

Ultimately, we decided that the best Friendsgiving we could ever have would be from the homeland: aka Sheetz.

Penn State