Penn Staters weigh in on this whole red cup fiasco

Are Starbucks starting a violent war on Christmas or did they just decide on red cups this year…

Red cups have a lot of significance in the lives of a Penn Stater. They serve as a piece of plastic that holds your favorite mixed drink on the weekends. Sometimes they’re meant as an alternative to doing the dishes and cleaning a real cup.

While the red cup is an important item there is a new red cup in town that is striking up a conversation.

This year when Starbucks launched its new Holiday cup it went with a plain red design. In the past, Starbucks has had snowflakes or a wintery design.

The new cup has caused controversy on the Internet. This probably isn’t news to you… shit kinda hit the fan hard and fast.

Joshua Feuerstein, who posted on Facebook about the issue last Thursday said that Starbucks “removed Christmas” from their cups.

Some Christian groups were saying that Starbucks should be boycotted and were upset by this new cup design. But maybe… just maybe… it’s just a red cup?

The Tab asked Penn State students their thoughts on all the Christmas coffee chaos.

“Starbucks isn’t a Christian organization. The color of their cup shouldn’t matter,” said Chanse Davey, a Penn State graduate.

“I don’t think it’s necessary. It’s a color that everyone uses so I’m not sure why there’s an argument,” said Rachel Densing, a junior and nursing major at Penn State.

Winter designs can also rotate from year to year, in the past there’s been Christmas ornaments, snowmen and other wintery designs.

Arimani Caprio, a senior at Penn State said the design shouldn’t matter. She said people don’t pay too much attention to the design of a cup.

“It’s stupid they’re making a big deal out of this issue,” said Brooke Dart, a freshmen at Penn State.

McKenzie Schuler, a senior at Penn State said: “It’s ridiculous that we’re worried about the color of a cup when there’s other issues.”

She also added that she is a Christian herself and this design doesn’t offend her.

This claim was also referenced in a Washington Post article showing that some Christians are unsure why the color of the cup is a trending topic in the media.

Another student, Claire Gilmore, a freshmen at Penn State, said the design was still wintery, she said that it still had all the colors and didn’t understand why it was an issue.

Starbucks has also defended their stance on this issue. In a New York Times article, the company said that they were inviting people to write their own story this year.

Not to mention they holiday drinks and other holiday themed goodies for the winter season.

Red cup Starbucks or red solo cup, just take your pumpkin spice and enjoy the winter season. Eat, drink and be merry, right?

Penn State