UO and Oregon State unite to ban Halloween cultural appropriation

‘My culture is not a costume’

The Civil War rivalry is teaming up this Halloween, and it’s not for a football game. UO and Oregon State student governments are teaming up to put together a stand against cultural appropriation this Halloween.

According to reason.com, student government presidents Rachel Grisham and Quinn Haaga warned their communities that acts of cultural appropriation “are not acceptable.”

Oregon State posted this campaign on its website encouraging students to be mindful with their Halloween costumes

Those who violate the policy has a chance of being investigated by their campus bias response team, a team of advocates who put together a safe space to report cultural or discrimination.

OSU posted this statement online while warning students of the issue:

“Stripping culture and significance for the sake of novelty reduces the represented group’s culture to a costume. While it may be a costume for one night for you, it has been an identity for another person their whole life.”

Needless to say, being mindful of your costume may be hard at first, but it’s better than running into trouble later.

University of Oregon