What your Halloween costume says about you

You’re going as sexy cat aren’t you?

Halloween is one of those things where you either love it or hate it. Some people start singing the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack on October 1st, and others just mark it off as another day on the calendar.

Surprisingly, there used to be a time when Halloween was scary. It was originally an ancient Celtic festival where people would dress up in costumes to ward of ghosts. But in today’s day and age, sexy cats are what we use to ward off our ghosts now.

Say what you will about Halloween, it’s a great excuse to dress up. Here’s a rundown of what the most common costumes say about you.

The sexy costume

It’s remarkable how Halloween can make literally anything and everything sexy. We know the usual suspects: sexy cat, sexy bunny, sexy devil, sexy angel…

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

The best part about sexy costumes is when they’re unexpected, like a sexy nun. Sexy Harambe is a legitimate costume this year, kids. You’ve been warned.

The couple costume

You know this kind of couple. I know this kind of couple. Everyone knows this kind of couple. Their entire lives revolve around each other. Coordinating halloween outfits, now that’s real love.

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

The culturally appropriated costumes

Every year, unfortunately, someone shows up to the halloween party in some culturally insensitive outfit. It’s so common that it’s worth mentioning here.

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

Why are you dressed as a Native American? That’s not a costume. Bindis aren’t accessories. Why do we still have to remind people not to wear blackface? Come on.

The funny costume

Everyone knows some legend who shows up to the party in a funny costume, and everybody loves them. Let’s be honest, they make a fool out of themselves just to put a smile on your face. I appreciate those kinds of people, and I know you do to. They are the real MVPs.

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

You really have to have a lot of confidence to dress up as a penis and still be the most lovable person in the room.

The scary costume

These are the kinds of people who start planning for Halloween a year ahead of time. In the future you’ll find out they have the house on the street covered in Halloween decorations. They love Halloween more than Christmas. They won’t be in seminars on Halloween because they believe it’s a legitimate holiday.

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

People who wear scary costumes will force you to go to scary movies with them, and pull pranks on you, but secretly they’re just as afraid as you are.

What costume?

This is the person who has literally no interest in Halloween and just thinks it’s a gimmick. You have to force them to go to a party because, to them, it’s just a regular day.

Artwork by Allegra Toran (@pecheresse)

All the artwork was by Allegra Toran. IG: @pecheresse

Georgetown University