UPDATE: UO Greek life will return to Lake Shasta to help with clean-up

The area was earlier deemed too hazardous

The University of Oregon Division of Student Life has released a statement clarifying that Lambda Chi Alpha will be returning to Lake Shasta to help with the clean-up, despite earlier reports that the area was a bio-hazard. 

The statement called the trashed site, “not behavior we would ever condone or that aligns with the values of our organizations”, and said it, “does not represent our values, and was an embarrassment for our entire community.”

According to the statement, the chapter will travel back to Lake Shasta this weekend.  In the immediate future, the intent is to establish a philanthropy with the Shasta -Trinity National Forest and its volunteer programs to raise money for on-going cleanups, as well as annual trips during which the fraternity will plant trees in the area.

According to the Council, they will create, “an established environmental organization on campus to provide ongoing educational classes, seminars and events to the Greek community and the University at large to raise awareness and increase engagement around both environmental and conservation efforts.”

The Forest Service had found piles of trash from the trip, including tents, boxes of unopened food, and condoms on the edge of the water before releasing a statement that students were unable to come back after finding ‘bio-hazardous’ materials at Lake Shasta .

Both the University and its Lambda Alpha Chi chapter released statements early last week, firstly suspending the fraternity and secondly explaining the lack of action until the  university had finished their investigation.

More to follow.

University of Oregon