New books from female authors you should read in 2017

They are going to be good

As the first month of 2017 comes to a close, we are all figuring out what the year will have in store for us. Is this semester going to be just as hellish as semesters of years past? Yes. Are we one step closer to having to figure out what we want to do with our lives in the “real world?” Yes, (but we would rather not think about that right now). But if you are a bibliophile like me, the most important question echoing in your mind is: what new books are coming out this year and should I preorder them now or wait for some reviews to come out? Do not fear, I’ve got you covered.

Here is a list of the books that will take 2017 by storm:

My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella

Release Date: February 7

The beloved author of the Shopaholic series and Finding Audrey is back with another charming narrative. This time, readers follow Katie Brenner in London as she strives to have the perfect life–one that her boss, Demeter Farlowe, seems to have. As Katie begins to finally find her way to the ideal existence similar to the one she makes her Instagram posts out to display, she gets fired and heads back to Somerset to establish a family vacation business. It seems like her London life is far in the past – until Demeter shows up for a stay at the family’s farm. If this book is anything like Kinsella’s previous works, it will have vivid, lively characters whose world you will want to stay in until the very last page.

the princess saves herself in this one by Amanda Lovelace

Release Date: February 14

If you are a poetry lover, this book is for you. Lovelace’s collection of poems has a very similar origin and feel as Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey; both were originally self-published and even look alike with deep black covers printed with white text. Lovelace’s poems are divided into four parts as are Kaur’s, yet Lovelace’s sections are different: the princess, the damsel, the queen, and you. According to Barnes and Noble, “The first three sections piece together the life of the author while the final section serves as a note to the reader.” This collection will be emotionally profound and full of inspiration.

Dead Letters by Caite Dolan-Leach

Twin copies of the ARE sitting on my back deck #deadletters #deadleaves

A photo posted by Caite Dolan-Leach (@caitedolanleach) on Oct 17, 2016 at 9:41am PDT

Release Date: February 21

Every year has its thriller that readers (and book clubs) cannot wait to get their hands on; for 2017, my money is on this one. Dead Letters is about twin sisters, Ava and Zelda. After Ava attempts to run away from her past by leaving home, she is forced to return when Zelda is burned alive because she passed out in a barn with a lit cigarette. While police investigate Zelda’s death, Ava senses that this is all too neat for her sister – until she receives a note from her. It is up to Ava to follow the clues Zelda has left for her, but in order to do so, she has to think like Zelda and even confront her past.

Braced by Alyson Gerber

Release Date: March 28

According to the National Scoliosis Foundation, seven million people have scoliosis, with four million being children according to the CLEAR Scoliosis Institute. However, there are very few portrayals of people – especially children – with scoliosis in pop culture. In the world of literature, the only book brace-wearers like me had to turn to for comfort was Deenie by Judy Blume. A great read, but the type of brace Deenie wears–the Milwaukee brace–is much less common today than others like the Boston, Providence, or Rigo-Cheneau. With Braced, Alyson Gerber brings us the modern-day scoliosis portrayal everyone who is wearing or who has worn a back brace deserves to have on his or her bookshelf. As Gerber personally went through bracing as well, I have high hopes that this book will be an accurate and honest depiction of how scoliosis changes the lives of not only the patient, but everyone who knows him or her.

I Hate Everyone But You by Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin

Release Date: September 19

Gaby Dunn and Allison Raskin have written a YA novel and fans of their hit YouTube series “Just Between Us” could not be more excited. The novel follows two best friends, Ava and Gen, as they start their college journeys on different ends of the country. Told through their text and email exchanges, the reader will experience every aspect of their lives that the girls share with each other, but as they start building their separate worlds, it will leave the reader wondering if their relationship is meant to last out the long distance. If this book is truly written in Dunn’s and Raskin’s voices, it will be both hilarious and heartwarming and a fantastic read that you will never want to put down.

While being one month into another year is exciting because you have another eleven months to fill with new experiences and memories, it is even more exciting because you have another eleven months to fill with more books. So, what are you waiting for?

Ohio State