Why I am now a self-proclaimed ‘bad feminist’

All thanks to a few Facebook users that got a bit ‘feminasty’

In my mind, the root of feminism is equality of all sexes and gender identities. Simple as that. From it, branches a myriad of debates that every individual, feminist or not, is entitled to have a different opinion on. The countless amount of fearless, female, male, and transgender figures of yesteryear who sacrificed of themselves, earned us that right. As do the number of people working to further those efforts today.

As many others may relate, I did not have a name for feminism throughout my childhood, but I was always taught to believe in the beauty and the power of both my mind and my body. That I deserved to assert myself as both an intellectual with opinions worthy of sharing, and as a sexual being, free to do as I pleased with my body. I believed that then as a little girl, and I believe that now as a nearly twenty-two year old woman with a tad bit of life experience. I never actively chose to be a feminist. On January 21, 2013, as the credits of Iron Jawed Angels, a film that profiled the American suffragette movement, rolled in my Gender, Sex and Power course, I wept openly, and passionately as my classmates looked on. I never chose feminism. Feminism chose me.

Two days ago I posted a critical piece on why I have an issue with female celebrities’ frequent perpetuation of nudity, and promiscuity on social media platforms and its affect on young female consumers. I was not at all naive to the fact that in doing so, I would be inundated with backlash and comments in an effort to challenge my convictions. In fact, I was so prepared that I had popped a bag of popcorn, grabbed a glass of wine, and taken temporary residency on my couch.

What I was not prepared for however, was to be questioned about my passion for equality, and to be referred to as a, ‘bad feminist.’ I have been a freelance writer for roughly four years. Me and backlash go way back. But I will be perfectly honest, I was deeply upset by what I read. It didn’t last long, of course, but it was enough to make me question what I had written, and if I had stated my thoughts in the most clear, concise manner possible.

Upon closer, more objective inspection, I decided that perhaps I need to make a few minor clarifications regarding my words.

It was not meant to be read as an extended slut-shame. It was meant to be a rallying cry for young women to exemplify more of their incredible assets, not limited to their physical appearance, on social media. I love the female figure as much as the next person – and the male figure for that matter. But I also love a thoughtful mind, a sense of humor, confidence, and most of all, kindness. I am not disempowering women who feel empowered showing their bodies. I never once discouraged the celebration of one’s body, or sharing it on social media. I am only asking that we just as equally perpetuate the circulation of our other positive attributes. Show your body, but don’t forget the importance of showing one’s heart and mind as well.

In a world that is often governed primarily by superficiality, I feel it is important we do our part to exemplify equal representation of all assets. My only regret is using photographs of other female Instagram users. I apologize for diminishing them to that photograph, and that photograph alone. That was wrong. I am also sorry if it seemed as though I believe all female social media users post promiscuously solely for some sort of validation. I know that is not entirely true. That was an irresponsible blanket statement written out of frustration.

What I will not apologize for, is utilizing the platform that I have been given as a journalist to express a discontentment with female celebrities normalizing the frequent sharing of nudity and promiscuity. I believe that they too have a platform, and unfortunately, their public actions set a standard for the many young, and impressionable eyes that are watching. I should have made it more clear that I am placing responsibility on them. Not the young women out of the public eye.

I have a lot of very cool, adolescent girls in my life that I know feel pressured to maintain a certain image on social media – one that entails hours of attempting to capture the perfect selfie and using precious time to edit it to an even more impossible standard. I realize that is not all young girls, but that is the kind of behavior I was referencing in my article. Why is it so wrong to want more for them than that?

I stand by my overall message. I believe that what you choose to share on social media is absolutely your business. But I also believe that it is imperative to present ourselves on those public spaces as both equal parts sexually liberated, fulfilled by our own physical figures regardless of opinion, and intellectually apt – empowered not simply by our bodies, but our minds and our hearts. If that makes me a ‘bad feminist,’ as I have been labeled by several users, then buy me a sash and a plastic crown because I will sit on that throne all day. A big thank you to everyone who has read it or circulated it, and for those who have spent a considerable amount of time constructing comments to challenge it.

You have all done precisely what you have accused me of: Policing young women and what they choose to offer on social media. If that is your feminism, you are entitled to keep it. But I sure as hell am entitled to keeping mine.

Ohio State