What’s up with the bizarre OSU guidelines for ‘inclusive holiday practices’?

What’s wrong with scarlet bows?

Why did the the Office of Diversity and Inclusion post a guideline regarding inclusive holiday practices? Better yet, why did they take it down?

It has since reappeared and here are some of the more peculiar lines from their guideline:

“Individuals or departments may choose to focus celebrations on neutral, seasonal themes.

“Decorations should be respectful and sensitive toward the diversity of our community.

“The goal or intent of holiday celebration should be to enhance relationships and work/life balance, engage in diversity awareness, inclusivity, and support fun at work.”

“Decorations and food should be general and not privilege any religion.” But what religion are Christmas cookies?

Also, I’m not Jewish, but everyone can appreciate a nice chocolate rugelach. Unless of course, you have a gluten insensitivity. Even so, thanks to Google, there are gluten-free recipes.

Another “rule” which is perhaps the most ludicrous listed in the guideline is to stray away from red and green bows, because everyone knows how offensive that can be. They seem to be really aggressive against Christmas, without ever mentioning the word.

Choosing to say “happy holidays” is understandable, but soon we will be advised against happiness. People will walk around campus yelling “Holidays!” and that sounds rather terrifying.

Also, it’s very intriguing to me how in depth they go with “strategies for enhancing cultural awareness.” They could have just summed the entire guideline in a small sentence:

“Celebrate holidays respectfully and don’t be a close-minded jackass.”

My eyes!

Ohio State