Michigan House Speaker: President Simon should step down

Tom Leonard is the highest ranking state official to call for Simon’s resignation

Amid controversies about how the university has handled sexual assault cases, including the Larry Nassar case, Michigan House Speaker Tom Leonard has formally called for MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to resign.

“I don’t see any way the healing process is going to begin and we are going to start doing these young women justice until we have another president sitting at Michigan State University," Leonard told The Detroit News earlier today.

"The university has failed young women who were sexual assaulted by former gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar," Leonard said.

Leonard is now the highest ranking official who has publicly expressed a want for President Simon to resign from office.

This comes a week after the Lansing State Journal published a scathing front-page editorial arguing that Simon is no longer fit to lead MSU, which has sparked widespread public discussion and debate.

Leonard's statement also comes days after the leading attorney for MSU's internal investigation of Nassar was unable to produce Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette a copy of his findings, because there was apparently never a report prepared.

After finding this out, Leonard said he was "appalled that internal investigators did not document their findings in any report."

Read the whole article in The Detroit News here.

Michigan State