Former MSU gymnastics doctor expected to plead guilty for sexual abuse Wednesday — here’s what you need to know

He could be facing a life sentence

Earlier this year Larry Nassar, former MSU and Olympic gymnastics doctor, was accused of sexually abusing over 140 women and girls. Nassar is confirmed to have assaulted victims as young as ten.

Nassar, 53, holds a gruesome history of sexually assaulting women and girls, and is facing twenty-two charges of first-degree criminal sexual conduct involving at least seven victims, according to the New York Times.

The dates

The Ingham County plea hearing is scheduled for November 22. The next plea hearing, for Eaton County, is November 29. After the plea hearings, Nassar will face a trial for each county. The Ingham County case is set to begin jury selection December 4.

The Eaton County trial will not begin until the Ingham County trial concludes.

The charges

Nassar is expected to plead guilty to 22 counts of criminal sexual conduct of the first degree between the two counties.

In October, Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney came forward as one of Nassar's victims. According to Maroney, Nassar disguised his abuse by telling her the "treatment" she received was a "medically necessary treatment that he had been performing on patients for over 30 years."

A month later, her teammate Aly Raisman revealed she had also been sexually abused by Nassar.

The sentence

If Nassar is found guilty of all counts of criminal sexual conduct, he could face life in prison.

Michigan State