Why is MSU in shambles right now?

Campus is a wreck… what’s next?

A weird series of occurrences has taken over the MSU campus this week. While they may seem like a coincidence, having to deal with four different large problems within the span of a few days is not exactly a typical week at State. Some of the events have left students feeling confused and asking what’s next?

It all started Sunday April 3rd when word got out that the Sparty Golf Cart had been stolen. The cart was eventually found Tuesday, after it’s disappearance, floating in the Red Cedar River. Let’s be honest people, stealing Sparty’s golf cart is not cool. On top of that, the cart is going to need replaced due to the water damage it sustained from the river. The MSU Police sent out this tweet on Twitter regarding the incident.

What students didn’t realize was that this was only the beginning. On the same day that the cart was found, a campus-wide notification was sent out. Tuesday morning brought this text from the MSU Police department:

This news brought a buzz of worry to everyone on campus. A chemical spill, really? How can something that large of scale be contained?

The incident included 800 gallons of sulfuric acid that leaked from a tanker inside the TB Simon Power Plant. This occurred at 8:30am Tuesday morning, however, students did not get the notification until 10am. Service Road between Harrison and Farm Lane was closed because of the spill, but were reopened at 11am. Even though the road reopened shortly after, the air was still in the process of being tested and a complete sweep of the area was made to make sure everything was cleaned up properly.

Okay so two things happened, big deal right? Students brushed it off and moved on with their day. Unfortunately this wasn’t the end. Wednesday morning started off like any other cold Michigan day, until of course, campus received this new notification that came at about 10am.At this point, students began to wonder if all of these instances truly were accidents. It wasn’t until 10:30am that the notification was received saying that the fire had been extinguished, but to continue avoiding the area due to resulting investigation and further cleanup. The fire had been sparked by a conveyor belt in a machine that recycles cardboard in the Surplus Store that employees had been working on. It was quickly put out.

By Thursday, one thought things would have calmed down – it had been a long week. Instead at 10am, 40 buildings on State’s campus lost power and students received this text. I mean seriously, what more could go wrong in one week for MSU! Students took to Twitter to express their feelings.

The power eventually came back on, but students were still left wondering what next. Not only has the week been full of odd occurrences, it’s been snowing… in April. Campus basically seems to be a wreck. On that note, time will tell what the next breaking news may be. Lets hope it’s something good this time!

Michigan State