Why being ‘too nice’ isn’t a bad thing

It should just be called ‘being a decent human’

Why do people always use the phrase, “too nice?”

“You’re too nice to him.”

“That girl doesn’t belong here, she’s too nice.”

I don’t know if it’s just me, but what the heck is “too nice?” Shouldn’t it just be called “being a decent human” or “having a caring heart?”

It’s so sad to me that society has put negative connotations on the words “too nice.” There is no such thing as someone being too nice. It’s not exactly a bad thing to be a little extra caring than most people.

I understand that sometimes really nice people can begin to be taken advantage of by others but that doesn’t mean society should discourage people from being nice. What this should tell us is that society is filled with people who are looking to take advantage of others. Duh.

I’m here to tell you to be nice. Being nice doesn’t perceive you as weak or fake. Being nice is not about getting people to like you or pretending to be someone you’re not. Being nice is not hip and trendy, or cool. If you’re one of those people who has to announce every time they’re being nice, guess what? You’re not a nice person.

It seems nowadays people want too much credit for stuff they’re supposed to do. We’re supposed to be nice to one another. You don’t get a shiny trophy for being nice. It’s expected of human beings, just like we wake up every morning.

Being nice requires someone who is genuinely happy in his or her own lives and is seeking to spread that positive energy forward.

It’s not about pleasing everyone, or making everyone happy because that’s not possible. All I can tell you is being nice will make you feel more alive, no joke.

You’ll wake up happier, have better days, feel better physically, mentally, and emotionally. Being nice to yourself and other creates a plethora of good vibes that seem to be contagious.

Next time someone tells you you’re “too nice.” Take a deep breath. Don’t get all worked up or shout because I promise you it’s not worth it. You know that deep down inside you’re a happy person who is making a positive change in the world by spreading positive energy.

P.S. Be nice to each other

University of Maryland