Everything the UI class of 2020 should know

You’re in for a hell of a ride

Everyone’s story is different, but there always seems to be one chapter that is important to everyone- freshman year of college.

It’s a chapter full of excitement and change, and just like with a good book, you’ll probably lose sleep flying through the pages so quickly. As I approach the end of this chapter of my life story, I have to slow down and reflect.

Completely out of my element as an out-of-state student, I was immediately comforted by the fact that the sense of community in college is unbeatable.

No matter what your past is, who your friends are, or what you want to do after graduation, you are a part of your university. I immediately knew that at the University of Iowa I could count on Hawks to help Hawks, I could count on the proper response when I say “On Iowa,” and in most cases I could count on bonding with any other freshman over the orientation program that tainted those words.

I quickly learned that one of the best ways, especially at an amazing Big Ten school like mine, to appreciate that sense of community is by going to sporting events.

I’ll never underestimate the ability of yelling “I” and clapping my hands together over my head to make me smile. Football is what we’re most known for but that I-O-W-A pride really is anywhere that there is a tigerhawk sewn on to a uniform.

I learned quickly as a freshman that everyone is starting over, just like you. So don’t be afraid to reach out and make friends anywhere and everywhere…

…even if that means “buying them.” My sorority led me to some of my favorite humans in the world.

However, I also had to learn that not every friend you make at first will last, and that’s okay. 

People and priorities change, and it becomes quickly apparent that at a big university you need to go out of your way to make friendships last. In college you no longer see your friends in the hallways every day. You don’t have lunch at the same time. You probably don’t even have class together. So if you want to see someone, you have to make it happen.

And while a great way to see your friends is to meet up to eat, you have to accept that it’s okay to eat alone and you’re going to have to. Do not starve because no one was available to the dining hall with you.

But then again, you have to know when you’re not hungry. You’re bored. Which seems to be all the time.

Frankly, one of the best parts of college for me was the fact that you don’t really have to look good for class. Having a student body of over 30,000 people means you can get away with a lot less variety in your outfits. At school you quickly learn what your favorite clothes are, and only wear them.

But you still have to remember to check the weather…because your mom isn’t there anymore to tell you when your clothing decision are completely illogical.

Also, while you’re walking to class and hopefully not freezing, remember to look around. Things can be really beautiful when and where you least expect them to be.

After one year, it’s easy to feel like you know campus like the back of you right hand, but you’re wrong. There’s always more to be discovered.

So go explore.

Soon you’ll be amazed by how much your room will feel like home. And your school in general. Enjoy this feeling.

It will only make it more pronounced that going home for the first time will be bizarre. I walked around the house I’d grown up in astounded by the fact that everything was the same except for me.

I always miss school the second I leave it, but it’s nothing compared to how hard it is to say goodbye to some of the people I now only get to see for weeks at a time. Including my boyfriend. My freshman year I learned that it’s not easy, but you can make the important relationships from home last. You just have to really want to. And snapchat, snapchat really helps.

DIBS^

Speaking of which, take my word for it: having your parents on Snapchat is a blessing.

Freshman year taught me that the most interesting people have interesting experiences. So soak up some culture and find out what’s going on around campus. One of my favorite things to do is check what authors will be doing readings at Prairie Lights.

You never know when you’ll find something you really enjoy, and you can join an organization that you care about. It’s not always about how it will look on your resume or the potential for a leadership position, it’s about living with purpose and doing things you love.

When you aren’t studying, going to meetings, and trying to get some sleep, it’s important to make memories you can talk about for the rest of your life. So go let yourself have fun.

But make sure that you also enjoy your nights in. It’s astounding how many memories you can make sitting in a dorm room just talking and laughing for hours. Relax. Sleep. Forget the FOMO.

Finally, take pictures. You’ll want them. But remember it’s not always about the Instagram, so don’t make that the photoshoot the main event.

Because this year flies by and you want to enjoy every moment of it.

Oh, and don’t worry Mom and Dad I also learned some stuff about Michel Foucault, volcanoes… and that the guy who wrote The Wizard of Oz also wrote a book about the aesthetics of storefront displays.

University of Iowa