Dear high school seniors, don’t go to Iowa State

Why be a Cyclone when you can be a Hawkeye?

A humorous take on ISU by an Iowa freshman. 

Dear high school seniors,

Don’t go to Iowa State. Iowa is known as the Hawkeye State for a reason – all of the best people are University of Iowa students or die-hard Hawkeye fans.

Why on earth would you go anywhere else, especially somewhere where they call themselves the Cyclones? 

They have no downtown

Being a Hawkeye, when I went to Ames for a weekend, I had low expectations of course, but I was also open to the differences of their social life at Iowa State. What I found out is that it’s boring. The students stay in their rooms until 10 or 11 pm looking for a party, and if they don’t find one, they’re stuck for the night.

COME TO IOWA and that will never happen to you! With bars that allow 18 year olds in, there is always something to do on the weekends.

Their colors are red and yellow

Technically, they are “cardinal and gold”, but they look more to me like ketchup and mustard. Gross, right? Would you rather attempt to make that look cute, or really rock the black and gold?

They’re mean

I’m all for the rivalry between Iowa and Iowa State, honestly its fun! But if you step foot in Ames and even have a hint of Hawkeye anything on you, consider yourself a target.

They will scream at you from a mile away.

Their mascot really makes no sense

Iowa State’s Mascot has always confused me. They call themselves the Cyclones, but Cy, their mascot, is a bird. This is because an actual cyclone was “too hard” to depict in a costume.

They sound like a bunch of giver-uppers to me. I think most people can agree the Herky is much, much cooler.

That’s not a cyclone…

Their football team sucks

Their record may not always be terrible, but this year, the Hawkeyes took home the Cy-Hawk trophy after stomping Iowa State 31 to 17 this past September.

The football experience at Iowa State does not compare to that at Iowa. The fans of Iowa football are so die hard, you would be seriously missing out if you went to State.

They fit the stereotypes

When people think of Iowa, they think of open corn fields and assume that everyone here is a farmer. State is so geared up on agriculture, they basically just validate those stereotypes.

Iowa City breaks the status quo. Of course there is nothing wrong with farmers, but there is more out there in Iowa than tractors and cows.

You won’t get the experience of being an Iowa Hawkeye

Coming to the University of Iowa was one of the best decisions I’ve made, and if I wouldn’t have chosen to come here, I would’ve missed out on so many great things. People pride themselves on being a Hawkeye, and the community is amazing.

I’ve made amazing friends and participated in so many fun things that I wouldn’t have been exposed to anywhere else. Not only should you not go to Iowa State, don’t go anywhere that isn’t UI.

So seniors, if you were ever considering it, take my suggestion – don’t go to State.

University of Iowa