Every disgusting thing that’s happened in the UI dorms

There’s a reason they call it Dirty Burge

After a long day of studying and good-behavior, you can always count on the night to add a little excitement into your life.

Now we can’t truly know for sure if college students have acted the same since the beginning of time, but thankfully now we have social media and have managed to capture these less than flawless moments.

BURGE

Being the most recognized dorm on campus, “Dirty Burge” holds itself to a whole new standard. Burge is often credited for it’s wonderful sense of community.

Students living here take pride in getting to know their floor-mates, and what better way to do this than having everyone’s door label in your room?

They say practice makes perfect after all!

Besides mastering the skill of knowing all their neighbor’s names, these kids also love to do activities together like throwing fiestas.

Of course we all know how tricky that college budget can be – so S/O to the 1200’s for having the creative idea of using toilet paper instead of streamers.

(no this is not an actual video, don’t try to push play, that would be embarrassing)

DAUM

I’m honestly not even sure how to handle this one.. POD BATHROOMS ARE A PRIVILEGE, PEOPLE.

(those pesky honor students)

HILLCREST

I don’t know what it is about exit signs that always make kids want to hit them.

We’ve seen incidents like these happen at numerous dorms, to numerous signs, after numerous nights out in Iowa City.

Maybe it was the athletes trying to get sporty, or just some kids messing around, but I’m sure this won’t be the last time the exit signs go down.

SLATER

Who doesn’t want a late night snack? Maybe a case of the munchies? Well Slater is the place for you!

Whether it was a food fight or maybe just an “oops” moment, first floor Slater sure has some explaining to do.

All I know is that if I already took the energy to carry my food back from the East side, I’d be pretty bummed if it ended up on the floor.

STANLEY

8th floor Stanley started get mischievous after a female resident received a fake rat in a care package and chose to hide it in a floor mates pillow case.

Ever since then, the rat has made it’s rounds on the floor showing up in everyone room, hoping to scare them in the dark.

All I know is thank god it’s fake – if I saw a live rat in my room I’d probably pee my pants.

CURRIER

(As a resident of Currier 3rd floor, it gives me great pride, and pain, to write this segment.)

For a Health Science floor, you’re probably assuming it’s just a bunch of kids who do chem and Math for Bio all the time. Well that’s actually really true – but that doesn’t mean the weekends aren’t crazy.

Last semester there was a mysterious being repeatedly punching holes through window screens in the boys bathroom. WOW SO STRONG!

And just earlier this semester the floor went viral with the “Burrito Barf” Tab article from that very same bathroom. Yay 3rd Floor!

One day some residents thought it would be a good idea to remove the RA’s door from his actual room – not sure how they did it.

But it’s safe to say they returned it rather fast (whoops).

(this may or may not be an RA’s door, but that story is for another time)

QUAD

Don’t worry, this isn’t another cockroach story.

This old prank is probably one of my favorites. Claire Nichols had been hoarding newspapers in her room all semester, with the intent of filling a friends room with it one day. Well the plan backfired when she entrusted a group of girls in her room while she left for a few hours with family.

Claire said: “Olivia Ginther and I had came up with the idea to trash and fill one of our friend’s room with newspaper early in the school year. We knew it would take time to accumulate enough newspaper to fill a whole room, so everyday I would grab newspapers and after a month Olivia and I had collected over 150 newspapers.

“One weekend, my parents were in town while some of my wonderful friends and I were napping and hanging out in my dorm room. My parents were waiting for me outside so I, irresponsibly, told my friends they could stay in my room until they went to dinner.

“My family and I went out for dinner and walked around Iowa city for a couple of hours. Olivia, whom I had left in my dorm room, called me to asked me how long it would be until I would be coming back to Quad, and I gave her a time estimate. I remember telling her that they didn’t have to wait up for me, but she insisted on waiting.

“I eventually came back to Quad, walked into my room, with Lion king music blasting, and my room stuffed with newspaper that I had collected. I was shocked, but I thought it was hilarious. I found out later that my friends had been tracking me on Find My Friends and spent 2 hours filling the room with newspaper.

“The next day we filled 3 30 gallon industrial trash bags with newspaper and chucked them in the recycling behind Quad.”

(don’t worry, they recycled)

RIENOW

More trouble in the boy’s bathroom (no surprise there).

Not sure if the guys were just being mischievous or if someone escaped through the air vent, but this is definitely an interesting incident. Either way I’m not sure how they actually accomplished this task but congrats to them for being responsible and leaving it in a safe place.

After all, aren’t you suppose to take your problems to the RA?

PETERSEN

It was reported that some boys (again) went into the bathroom (again) and took the soap out of the soap dispenser.

Not just a handful of soap though, they took the whole bag, and then proceeded to dump it in the hall way outside of somebody’s room.

If they’re intentions were to help clean the carpet, they might want to just stop (because they’re not doing anyone a favor).

MAYFLOWER

“Have any good stories from Mayflower? Like gross stories…”

Freshman Christian Thomas is a Mayflower resident.

The Education major said, “No, Mayflower is the pinnacle of high society of Iowa City”

Mayflower Hall

So there ya have it folks. College is about having fun with friends, and being stupid every now and again. Glad all you Hawks have been enjoying your first year here!

P.s. Make sure to thank your RA and Maintenance staff the next time you see them, we really owe it to them. Oh, and stop making messes.

University of Iowa