This Sunday is the Oscars of IU Greek life

These awards acknowledge all Greek life on campus

On April 24, the Indiana University Greek community will come together to celebrate the strides and achievements that have been made in the past year. The IU Greek Awards and Assessment Program (IU GAAP) started in 2004 in order to recognize the shared goals and achievement of all the fraternities and sororities on campus.

These awards acknowledge all Greek life on campus, meaning those in the North American Interfraternity Conference, PanHellenic Association, Multicultural Greek Council, and National Pan-Hellenic Council.

The IU Auditorium during the 2015 Greek Awards

Cashie Roahaly, a junior in Alpha Xi Delta, said, “I think [The Greek Awards] are a really great way to inspire and push organizations forward by giving them something to strive for with these awards.”

This year there will be a total of 23, both individual and chapter, awards presented at the event. Below is a list of the awards that will be given:

Individual

Man of the Year

Woman of the Year

Unsung Hero

Outstanding Senior

Outstanding President

Outstanding New Member

Living Your Ritual

Commitment to Fraternity & Sorority Life

Commitment to Diversity Cross-Council Collaboration Award

Advisor of the Year

Chapter

Living Your Ritual

Chapter Alumni Relations Award

Campus Involvement Award

Excellence in Sustainability

Outstanding Community Program

Outstanding Chapter Philanthropy

Outstanding Chapter Community Service

Values Integration

Intellectual Development and Academic Support

Brotherhood & Sisterhood

Leadership Development

Civic Engagement

Chapter of Excellence

“I love the GAAP awards because it brings together all four councils and celebrates all the good that the Greek community does,” said Lizzie Goetz, a senior in Alpha Sigma Alpha. “It really highlights the huge impact that we have on the IU and Bloomington.”

Last year, the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority took home three awards. Their reputation as a well rounded chapter makes them a favorite for awards this year, too.

As a new member in the IU Greek Community, I’m looking forward to experiencing this positive event that brings the entire community together in a positive way.

IU