Historic Chocolate Moose hut to be demolished for developing

The local ice cream staple will likely remain on the site after a new multi-business building goes up over the winter

One of our favorite ice cream spots and a Bloomington landmark building will be torn down.

The Chocolate Moose, situated really close to the campus, is a go-to spot for many ice cream lovers in town. Bloomington residents and IU students line up at the store for delicious frozen treats. The store also serves great sandwiches and caters to all kinds of audiences by including patrons seeking vegan options.

What makes it more special is the vintage building that sits at the site since 1957. Before The Chocolate Moose, it was named as Penguin. Since the 50’s the name and ownership has changed, but the characteristic building hasn’t changed much, giving Bloomington dwellers a piece of history in the middle of downtown.

But recent development plans have put the building in jeopardy. According to reports, the landowners want to demolish the building and construct a new four-story commercial space on the site. On the bright side, the new site might continue to house the ice cream store along with other businesses. The construction would begin during winter when the ice cream store is closed. 

However, many residents expressed their displeasure at losing the characteristic building and want to give it the designation of a local historic site in order to prevent it from being demolished.

The Bloomington Historic Preservation Commission conducted a meeting on Thursday to discuss the issue with residents and to explore options to save the building, including a motion to designate the beloved restaurant as a protected historic site.

Regrettably, the motion was not passed. But old building or new, we hope to continue to line up for our tasty treats, especially now that summer is almost around the corner.

IU