A routine traffic violation became a massive Ashton drug bust

It seems freshman Nathan Kolodziej basically turned his single into his personal drug den

Spring Break has ended, and we are on our first week back. But for IU freshman Nathan Kolodziej, the party didn’t stay on the beach.

The Central Neighborhood was apparently thirsting for a little campus drama — Northwest can’t have all the fun. 19-year-old freshman Nathan Kolodziej of Ashton-Vos shook things up Tuesday at 9 PM when he was pulled over for a basic traffic violation. The police found evidence of dealing numerous drugs and arrested Kolodziej that night.

IU freshman Nathan H. Kolodziej

You’d think he’d be a little more careful and use his turn signal when carrying such precious cargo. According to WBIW, cocaine, a large piece of THC wax, 150 squares of LSD blotter paper and 64 lisdexamfetamine (commonly known as Vyvanse) tablets were found in Kolodziej’s car. He was also said to have about $300 of marked cash the police had been using to track local drug trade. This means the police had been on his trail for some time.

Naturally, the police got a warrant and searched his single in quiet Ashton-Vos to find 94 THC lollipops, bags of marijuana, Xanax, and more than $9,000 in cash. Kolodziej is now in Monroe County for two counts of dealing cocaine, three counts of dealing other narcotics, dealing marijuana, and maintaining a common nuisance.

Curious of how a freshman could get away with having a miniature drug den in his Ashton single in the first place, I scoured the entire Voss building for a door name tag that said “Nathan.” After going up three flights of stairs, I finally found a “Nate” sticker on a door.

I proceeded to knock on the surrounding doors. I have never been to a more secretive place. The surrounding residents didn’t have much to say other than a couple who told me they spotted a crowd of people around his room on the night of his arrest. No one seemed to know him at all.

Clearly the single life may have more to hide than we thought. Without roommates, it is easier for a student to host illegal materials and go unnoticed. Not all Ashton residents are shut-ins, but it certainly is an easier place for a dorm dealer to keep a low profile. Next time you walk past Ashton on 10th Street, just know there may be more behind those closed doors than just scholarly activity and Netflix binges.

IU