You can play basketball in Assembly Hall for a good cause with Hoosier roots

Sigma Alpha Mu’s Ball at the Hall philanthropy will raise money for Lauri S. Bauer Foundation for Sudden Loss

Philanthropy isolates the beauty in something, leaving all negative details briefly aside. On the IU Bloomington campus, philanthropy is no stranger. Year in and year out, Greek and non-Greek organizations throw events, selling apparel and tickets in exchange for a great experience. Over the years, the ideas eventually become so similar you can’t tell them apart — until now.

This year, Sigma Alpha Mu — A.K.A. “Sammy” — is bringing back an oldie but a goodie as we present our philanthropy event: Ball at the Hall.

On February 24, incredible things will be happening at Assembly Hall — yes, that Assembly Hall. Only this time, Yogi Ferrell and Thomas Bryant won’t be playing on the hallowed hardwood. Instead, Sammy is inviting IU students to lace up their kicks for a massive “3v3” basketball tournament on the same court as the historic Hoosiers.

I love any and all philanthropy events — regardless of the cause. But for me and the boys of Sammy, this charity shines in a different way.

Ball at the Hall is our unique way to raise money and awareness for the Lauri S. Bauer Foundation for Sudden Loss. This foundation helps to support families around the world who have suffered the misfortune of the sudden loss of a loved one. The Lauri S. Bauer Foundation has made an impact on thousands by helping to pay for college, put food on the table or provide clothes and goods to families in need.

On January 5, 2011, current Sigma Alpha Mu brothers Jake and Alex Bauer lost their mother to a sudden arrhythmia. Shortly after, their father started the Lauri S. Bauer Foundation to help those struggling to overcome similar tragedies.

The Bauer family, including current brothers Alex (senior, right) and Jake (freshman, left)

Of course, philanthropy is amazing regardless of the specifics. But, this is more than your usual fraternity philanthropy. Like I said, I love philanthropy. I love being able to make a difference or help a cause. But this is different. This isn’t just a family who lost their mother a few years back. This is a foundation connected to my brothers — our chapter’s brothers — and to your fellow Hoosiers. This is so special to Sammy and me, and we hope other IU students see this as a chance to make a difference.

So, on February 24, make your way to the historic Assembly Hall for an opportunity like no other. Not only will there be a “3v3” basketball tournament and raffle taking place on the night of the event. Participants could win a car or free tuition.

I repeat. You could win a car or free tuition.

Mark your calendars and make sure you are there. Whether you want to help support the foundation or just say you played basketball in Assembly Hall, we’re happy either way. My brothers and I want to make a difference not only on this campus, but also for the Lauri S. Bauer Foundation and families around the world who cope with unimaginable grief. Just by being there you are supporting this foundation and cause.

Jake Bauer himself managed to captured the core of this philanthropy in just a few sentences: “To me, Ball at the Hall is so much more than just a charity basketball tournament. It shows the IU community — and hopefully beyond — that people in these situations really do need help. Everyone deserves the love, support and aid that I received in the past and continue to today.” In that moment, all pain was replaced by a sense of hope.

Children and families across the world don’t always have the resources to power through times like these; for Jake, that stands out more than anything. This is bigger than us, the Bauer family, or the game of basketball. Whatever we can do, we will do.

So, join the brothers of Sigma Alpha Mu and me on February 24 at the historic Assembly Hall as we raise the bar for philanthropy events and bring you an experience unlike any other. You will not want to miss this one – I promise.

Interested students can find more relevant information about Ball at the Hall on Twitter and Facebook.

IU