Don’t tell me my English degree will be useless

The next time I hear someone say that English is an easy major, I’m just going to hand them my 2,000 page Review of American Literature book

If you’re an English major, I’m sure you’ve heard the “So . . . what are you gonna do with that?” line. Or, there’s always my favorite: “Oh…well that’s nice. You must like to read.” The major itself is so wrongly defined and the stereotypes are endless (no I’m not a hippie because there are poetry classes in my future).

The reason it’s all so frustrating is because you know that you work endlessly to write four essays and read a novel a week, but to others, English just sounds like the most useless Liberal Arts and Sciences degree there is.

Well they’re wrong.

In the short time I’ve been an english major, I’ve already encountered so many different fields that want English majors. English is one of those majors that always fills the qualities an employer is looking for, from editing documents to speaking in front of groups. And not only do you acquire skills employers are looking for, you don’t even realize it’s happening because of the sheer enjoyment you have from learning about the different topics you have a sincere interest in.

Another question I am frequently asked when I say I am an English major is if I want to become a teacher when I graduate. While the answer is yes to this question for me, it isn’t for every English major. The idea that English is a useless major stems from the fact that careers besides teaching that require an English degree are often put in the dark and not discussed. From being a journalist, to a career in media, to the next world famous author, there are so many options that are not even taken into consideration. Personally, I am comforted by the fact that I have options for when I graduate and am looking for a career in my field, but this may be scary for others, creating a negative feeling towards the English major.

But, even when I confirm that teaching is my chosen career, it receives backlash. It shouldn’t be frowned upon that I want to be a leader for future generations, just like someone in the medical field wants to keep future generations healthy. I realize that the job market is not as large for education as it may be for other fields, but that won’t stop me, or other English majors who are passionate about education, from trying to fulfill not only our dreams, but the dreams of others.

My decision to major in English may not be as common as biology or engineering, but the world wouldn’t function if everyone was a doctor or an inventor. Art has always been important, especially in the written form. Not all writing is “silly” or fictional. English is just as practical as anything else.

Still not convinced?

Think about it this way: what would every culture be like if their most well-known author or critic or editor had not pursued their dream?

I, along with fellow English majors, are trying to change the world, just like other students. Education of any kind should never be discriminated against.

University of Illinois national-us