Sophomore basketball player arrested for pulling a knife at The Canopy Club

He was kicked out of the venue earlier

Leron Black, a sophomore at Illinois, was arrested last night for felony aggravated assault after he allegedly pulled a knife on a bouncer at The Canopy Club on Goodwin Avenue.

The club, which is near the Krannert Center and the Busey-Evans residence halls was packed last night before the incident occurred.

Black was arrested while walking away from the entrance to the club with a folding knife in his hand after witnesses said he threatened security personnel.

Black, originally from Memphis, was in the club when he was said to be among those kicked out that night for fighting.

Police Lt. Tom Geis, who was involved in the altercation, said: “[Black] yelled ‘I don’t have a strap but I’m not afraid to cut somebody.'”

He added: “Then the security guard said he pulled the knife, opened it and put it within one to two inches of his nose.

“He felt the bouncers were unfair and that his group should not have been kicked out.

“Black told them he pulled the knife because he felt the bouncers would have the upper hand on him physically.”

Black was the only person arrested for the alleged assault.

With regards to his status as a basketball player, Illini basketball coach John Groce released a statement suspending Black indefinitely from all team activities until the legal process is complete.

He said: “We are aware of the incident involving Leron Black. He has been suspended indefinitely from all team activities as we await the legal process.”

This is on top of a knee injury that forced him to miss 19 games this season.

Black is required to appear in court Friday afternoon for the alleged Class 4 felony and could face punishment from probation to potentially 1-3 years in prison.

University of Illinois national-us